Jaline took his hand and led him aside. The other men were receiving their mounts. There were still none available of adequate size for his use.

"I don't think they have a horse big enough for me," he told her.

"They have bigger horses, they are just being difficult. Let me see what I can do for you." She turned and headed into the stable.

While he waited, the woman he had seen in court standing at his mother's side appeared in the yard. She was tall, golden-haired with a touch of red, and dressed in plain travel clothes. She was carrying several bundles which she set on the ground. It was strange to see one of the trillas here in the heart of the largest hilliri kingdom, and stranger still to see one employed in the palace.

"My Lord, have you and your people taken refreshment and rest? We can leave momentarily." Her bow was so slight Liran wondered if she counted herself nearly his equal. He decided not to let it bother him; other slights had been received this night, and more would, no doubt, be offered before he left. He was used to the murmurings of the judgemental.

"The others have rested," he answered, trying to suppress his annoyance. "I, however, cannot rest until I see my son safe and my home liberated."" He took several paces, turned and walked back again. "I am waiting for the Captain who the Queen has assigned to assist me. Can you tell me, will he be here soon?"

An eyebrow raised on the trillas woman as she crossed her arms.

"I am the Captain, My Lord. The others will be here shortly."

"You can't be serious," he blurted out. She was much too young to be an officer of any rank.

The woman didn't flinch. A group of hilliri men and women gathered around her. They all wore faded clothes and did not appear to be carrying weapons. Liran counted only ten.

"Are these all the people we are bringing? And where are their weapons and uniforms? They look more like thugs than guardsmen."

The young woman continued to look unfazed.

"Queen Liriel stated that we should not be mistaken for an invading force. Our weapons are stowed securely in the saddlebags. We shall go under cover of darkness and without uniforms to avoid being detected," she replied.

More horses were being brought out to the group of guards. Everyone was stowing gear, and Liran did see, to his relief, a number of weapons being tucked away.

"Surely Rainna will have scouts looking out for your return. One of your companions said that she has about forty people with her, is that correct?" the Captain asked.

A tall black stallion with two white socks was led out to her. She took his reins and patted his nose. The animal danced about, tossing his head and swishing his tail. She spoke softly to him and he settled as she packed the saddlebags and checked the straps.

"There were at least forty," Liran began. "They were spread all over the fortress when we were forced out. I don't see how less than twenty of us can overthrow them, let alone ensure my son's safety. We simply need more people."

"More people will only slow us down. We need to move swiftly. I expect Rainna will assume you are coming with a force of soldiers from Kalad, not a..." she nodded her head to the side, indicating her group. "...a motley group of travellers. The invaders have the secure ground. We can only succeed with surprise, not force. We leave at once. Will you and your men be joining us?"

"Need you ask?" he replied, feeling irritable. He turned to signal his men to depart. It was clear that this woman wasn't going to change her mind, and he didn''t want to wait any longer.

"I still need a fresh horse, though," he said.

"I believe Lady Jaline has found a suitable one, My Lord."

She was looking over his shoulder to the stable. He turned to see Jaline holding the reins of a great Grey beast of a horse who kneaded the earth in front of the stable door. It snorted loudly, a signal that was returned by the Captain's leggy stallion.

With a sigh of relief, Liran stepped onto a block and swung his leg over the Grey's back. He smoothed his worn cloak around him and took hold of the reins. He touched Jaline's hand as he rode by on his way towards the gate. He waited by the entrance for the others to get in line. The Captain rode up and came around to face him. She touched his sleeve.

"We will rescue your son, My Lord," she said, speaking low enough that only he might hear.

She urged her horse forward, and the others fell in line behind her. She lifted her hood up over her bright hair and seemed to fade into the shadows. They made their way out of the palace grounds and out onto the river road that headed south toward the great sea and Castillon, his home. The sky had darkened to a blue-black mantle flecked with the light of a thousand stars.

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca