Her Eclipse

Light and twilight are two sides of a coin. 
One cannot exist without the other.
Light and twilight... Sun and moon.
How I wished for an eclipse to occur... but never did I dream it would happen.

"Your highness?"

Midna sat at her throne, lost in her thoughts and memories until interrupted when her soldier addressed her.
"Yes?" the princess of the twili responded.
"It's time," the soldier responded with the twili language rolling off his tongue.  Midna missed the language of the Hyrulians and very few of the twili were actually educated enough to start learning a language they would never need to use anyhow.  But something about the twili language had a harsh tone in it.
"Very well," the Princess finally responded, "I'm ready."

The beauty of the twilight realm was magnificent and calming.  The constant gloom and lack of light was relaxing... But oh, how Midna longed to return to the wretched world of light.  Every day, her heart ached for the memory of Link and Zelda.  However, after Midna had retaken her throne, there was a lot of damage left from Zant's tyranny.  She spent the last three years returning the twili to their original forms and restoring the peace of mind that was long forgotten.

The Twili queen sat up from her throne. She took a moment to gaze at it, sliding her fingers along the arm rests. She took a deep breath....

She was not ready for what was coming.

Nevertheless, she began to strut down the long line of stairs from her throne that lead to the large ballroom in her castle, the sturdy Twili soldiers escorting her down. They bore the newer high-tech armor designed by an elder technician in the land of the twilight realm. Midna's stomach churned and twisted. She was about to face her greatest enemy. While she was on her way to visit Zant, that was not the enemy she was truly afraid of. No, the real enemy would be the eerie feeling that he gave her. After Midna had reclaimed her throne three years ago, she was forced to announce a punishment of beheading onto the usurper King, Zant. But the wretched Twili begged... He begged that he be given three years of life left before he was killed.

Hesitantly, Midna had agreed to this final request. Zant used to be her friend. In fact, her best friend. They grew up together, members of young royalty. In a sense, Zant was considered a cousin of hers. While still young, the two could not be separated. However as time went on, Midna's coronation to be queen was approaching. Zant became envious and usurped her power years into her reign. You all know the story from there.

But this is where we pick up on where we left. Of course, Zant could not be left to roam the twilight realm free. After Midna agreed to give him three more years, she told him that he would spend his last years in the cells of the castle's dungeon. He seemed oddly agreeable to this.

Midna would visit his cell once a year, and each time she did, Zant had this twisted smile on his face. It was obvious to say that he was already insane, but the dungeon must have made him lose any ounce of sanity he had left.

And there was that grin... That grin is what made Midna feel eerie whenever she saw him. Something was off... Zant always seemed to be thinking... plotting... or perhaps it only seemed that way. Midna could never tell... but his untimely confidence always stirred her, despite the power she had. Truthfully, he had a stronger power over her... the way he terrified Midna was real power.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Midna was escorted by her soldiers down to the dungeon. It was dark, but that was no different from the outside, considering the cloud of Twilight. So the dark didn't stir her spirits, in fact it was the only thing keeping her together. The closest thing to rats that the Twilight realm had were crawling through the dungeon, squeaking with excitement and curiosity as they saw the queen walk down the dungeon steps.