Day -1

Hello! This is my first book, but I know its going to be good! Please leave comments so I can improve my book.Enjoy!

It was Friday in Salt Lake City and James plopped into his his bed exhausted after taking his math final. "One more week of school," James muttered to himself. He sat up, walked to the kitchen, grabbed a handful of Red Vines and started to walk back to his room. Suddenly a blur of dark green rushed at him. 

His younger brother Lucas in his "camouflage" outfit ran up to him, tagged him and ran away screaming, "YOUR IT!" and giggling.

James sighed and followed his brother to the living room where he was hiding behind the couch trying (but failing) to keep quite. James smiled and set down his Red Vines creating a line around the corner back to the kitchen. James waited around the corner where he knew his brother could not see him. Less than half a minute later he came crawling around the corner with the Red Vines in his mouth pirate style.

James quickly grabbed Lucas who squirmed to get out of his grip. James held on and headed to his room. Lucas stopped struggling and started eating the Red Vines eating both ends first then eating the middle.  James threw Lucas on the bed. Lucas immediately sprang up and started jumping on the bed. James then started to tickle Lucas. 

Lucas dropped the remaining Red Vines and fell on the bed yelling, "Stop it! That tickles!"

James proceeded to tickle him till he almost fell on the bed. James caught him right before Lucas's face hit the ground. Lucas stood up and brushed imaginary dirt off his pants. He looked up with a solemn look on his face.

"Uh-Oh" Lucas said with the same look.

James couldn't help but laugh. Just then they heard their mother's voice come drifting through the halls from the kitchen.

"Kids! Were getting take out what do you guys want.

"Lucas, what do you want.", James asked his brother.

Lucas thought for a second then shouted,"McDonald's, McDonald's!"

He went running down the hall still screaming. James smiled thinking that his brother could always make him smile without trying. James walked towards the kitchen thinking that McDonald's would be a crappy dinner. He knew Mom would not get them that.

Twenty minutes later the family was sitting around the table eating McDonald's. Dad raised his eyes at Mom who shrugged. Lucas devoured his chicken nuggets grabbed his plastic wrapped toy from his Happy Meal and ran to play with it in his room.

James looked at his dad," Ten seconds."

Dad shook his head," Twenty"

Twenty-three seconds later Lucas came back and gave the still wrapped toy to James. James smiled and opened it for him.

As Lucas ran back to his room Dad said to James," Told you so."

Ever since Lucas had his first happy meal he would always go to his room to play with his new toy. But, he could never  open the package so James and his dad would guess about how long before he came back to ask one of them to open the package.

His dad then got up and started to clean the table. 

As he walked towards the kitchen James asked," How was work today."

Dad sighed," It was hard." 

That was his response most days unless something really good... or bad happened.His dad was a former solider who now spent his time as an architect. There was some perks to having a parent who was in the military. One of them was he always knew what to do. Also,he had a basement built a few years back. It was no ordinary basement; it had five inch thick steel plating on the walls, ceiling, and floors. There was boxes and boxes of MREs (Meals-Ready to- Eat), water,Gas masks,wepons, and even a microwave and freezer. The basement was also were they stored most of their regular food because they had so much room in it.

James then got up from the table and went to his room to work on his History paper. An hour later this was all he had done.

North or South

The civil war was a bloody war between the north and the south. However it was the South's fault because,

James sighed and walked to his bed. He was about to fall asleep when he remembered he had to tuck his brother into bed. He slowly got up and walked to his brother's room. Lucas was already in bed reading  a Dr. Seuss book. When James walked in Lucas put his book on his dresser that was beside the bed.

"You gonna tuck me in.",  Lucas said with a yawn.

"Yup"

James tucked his brother in. He turned on the night light because Lucas(like most little kids) was scared of the dark. James shut off the lamp then walked back to his room. He collapsed in his bed not even bothering to climb under the covers and fell asleep.