Chapter 9 - The Rules

Start from the beginning

'when you walk into the room.'

He continued. The next line he sang out loud and clear for the whole of the cafeteria to hear.

'I think I love you'

"Don't do this." Sidney begged.

'I think I love you

Isn't that what life is made of

And though it worries me to say

I've never felt this way

Hey!'

Derek jumped up on the table for everyone to see while Mickey began to laugh and started a beat clap that most of the room joined in with as Mickey to stood from his chair, cheering his friend on.

'I think I love you

So what am I so afraid of

I'm afraid that I'm not sure of

A love there is no cure for

I think I love you

Isn't that what life is made of

A thought it worried me to say

I've never felt this way'

A guy from Derek's fraternity rose from his chair, a dollar bill in hand as he walked over and shoved it into Derek's belt while people cheered louder.

'Believe me

You don't have to worry

I only wanna make you happy.

And if you say hey, go away

I will.'

Mickey made his way around the table, grabbing Kali's hand and pulling her out of her seat as she tried to protest, spinning her around in a dancing motion, his sudden action over that particular line being a sign that he knew what she had been thinking.

'But I think better still

I better stick around and love you

Do you think I have a case

Let me ask you to your face

Do you really love me

Cause I think I love you'

Derek finished by jumping off the table and landing on his knees by Sidney's feet. Mickey spun Kali around one last time before taking a seat at the head of the table and pulling her onto his lap where he then kissed her gently.

Derek stood up, pulling Sidney to her feet while the crowd continued to cheer.

"Let's show a little love, huh." Mickey yelled out to everyone and they got louder as Kali rested her head on his shoulder, somewhat embarrassed both for the dancing and second hand for Sidney.

As the cheering softened and people sat back down again, their attention still on the couple, Derek reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace.

He said something to her, too softly for anyone else to be able to hear as he undid the clasp and placed the chain around her neck. Kali could now see that on the end of the chain where the Greek letters of Derek's fraternity.

"Isn't that a big frat faux pas?" Mickey asked Hallie, the only one at the table who was pledging.

"Oh, yeah. That is a big no-no. See, you're not supposed to give your Greek letters to your girl no shape, way or form. The brothers are gonna kick his ass, but it's tradition."

"It's tradition." Mickey repeated jokingly, looking up to Kali who still sat on his lap.

"It's good luck." Derek said to Sidney. "It'll protect you." He added as people gasped and made dramatic ooo-ing noises.

Sidney looked around at the crowd, a little awkward, but nonetheless reached up and kissed Derek, once again gaining cheers and claps.

After Derek had take one more bow he and Sidney took up their seat again, this time next to each other, Sidney in her same spot and Derek now in Mickey's.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, I'll be right back." Hallie said, beginning to stand.

"Whoa!" Kali stopped her as Mickey looked at Hallie with wide eyes and Sidney rolled hers.

"What?" She questioned.

"Randy's never told you the rules?" Kali questioned.

"What rules?" Derek asked.

"Here we go." Sidney muttered.

"There are rules to horror movies, things you can never say or do in order to survive." Mickey explained.

"This isn't a movie." Hallie observed.

"To us." Mickey shrugged.

"It's the killer's perspective you have to worry about. Billy and Stu played by the rules." Kali explained.

"Sit down, listen. You too, Derek." Mickey gestured for Hallie to take a seat, which she reluctantly did, despite having to pee. "There are three rules." Mickey started to explain as Kali sat quietly on his lap, thinking of the first time Randy had informed her and their friends. Sidney was not present at the time, but she had since heard it, partially from Billy and Stu themselves.

***

Kali had migrated to the floor as Stu was lying across the couch behind her while everyone else was just spread out randomly, watching the movie. About halfway through Randy got up, outraged that not a single one of his peers knew about the "rules" of horror movies.

"There are certain rules that people must abide by in order to successfully survive a horror movie!" He announced.

"Have an aneurism, why don't you." Stu muttered as Kali held up a piece of popcorn that he ate out of her hand.

"For instance." Randy continued, ignoring Stu. "Number one, you can never have sex." This of course immediately caused outraged calls from the crowd as they threw popcorn at Randy that he tried to swat away with his hand. "Big no, no!" Randy yelled back.

"I'd be a dead man." Stu said, nipping at Kali's neck earning him a light playful tap on his forehead telling him to behave.

"Sex equals death! Okay, number two, you can never drink or do drugs." This then caused the audience to cheer and raise their beer bottle. "It's the sin factor, it's a sin. It's an extension of number one and number three... never ever, ever under any circumstances say 'I'll be right back.' 'Cuz you won't be back." Randy finished as Stu got up from his chair.

"I'm getting another beer, you want one?" He asked Randy.

"Yeah, sure." He nodded.

"I'll be right back!" Stu called gaining dramatic shocked noises from his peers.

"You see, you push the laws and you wind up dead. Okay, I'll see you in the kitchen with knife." Randy joked after him.

***

"That's ridiculous." Hallie stated, once again standing. "I'll..." she trailed off before she was about to repeat what she had said early, "bye." Hallie eventually settled on, leaving to go to the bathroom as Kali chuckled.