Chapter 2 - Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

"Hey, babe." She greeted, smiling into the phone as Tatum rolled her eyes and retired to their bedroom.

"It's date night, right?" Stu asked right off the bat.

"What?"

"Your parents."

"Yeah, they just left and Dewey's still at work so it's just me and Tatum at home. Why?"

"I'm outside." Stu replied with a mischievous tone. "And ah, as you know, my parents are away for the week, so..."

"I'll get Tatum to cover for me." Kali replied instantly as her sister, hearing Kali's end of the conversation, popped her head back out of their room.

"Whoa, hold on." She began.

"Meet you out front in a sec." Kali said to Stu before hanging up without waiting for a reply. "Please." Kali immediately began pleading with her twin.

There were similarities between the two, both physically and mentally, but they were far from identical and each had their own personality finesse. Both had elements of sass and could be quite intimidating when they wanted to be, but Tatum was more social and practical while Kali was a little more laid back and only really kept to their close knit circle of friends. A good day in Tatum's mind would be a large party with good drinks while Kali would prefer nothing more than to just kick back with a good movie. That being said, Tatum also enjoyed being relaxed and Kali didn't mind the odd party and certainly knew how to party while at one, they simply just had different preferences. However, both enjoyed sneaking out at night.

"Come on, you always do this to me." Tatum argued.

"Like I haven't covered for you a thousand times. Tate, please. No-one will be home until eleven at the earliest, just arrange my pillows so it looks like I'm asleep; mum and dad are way past the tucking in stage."

"Dewey checks. He thinks it's his job because he's the oldest and now he's a cop."

"Dewey knows I'll kick his ass if he blabs." Kali shrugged, not at all fearful of her big brothers wrath.

"What about in the morning?"

"I'll sneak back early, leave the window unlocked." Kali smirked before grabbing her jacket on the way out. "Love you, Tate!" She yelled over her shoulder as she ran down the drive way and into Stu's arms. He picked her up and threw over his shoulder, carrying her to his car as she giggled. Tatum stood at the door for a moment before closing it with a final roll of her eyes.

***

A ringing sound coming from Kali's handbag snapped her out of her daydream as the background chatter of her friends ceased. Cellular phones were more popular then they had been when Kali was in high school and nearly everyone had one, but that being said most didn't carry them outside their dorms.

Kali on the other hand was basically under an unofficial contract to carry it wherever she went. She didn't have to look at the caller ID to know who it was, particularly under the circumstances.

"Okay, don't freak out." She said right away into the phone, turning her back on her friends as she walked away for a little privacy.

"Are you alright? Were you there? Where's Sid and Randy?" Dewey demanded right away.

"We're all fine, really and no I wasn't there. Why would I go and see that movie?"

"Look, I'm coming to see you." Dewey announced.

"What? No, Dewey, we're fine you don't have to do that."

"Too late, I'm already at campus." He stated stubbornly.