Chapter Ten

Feelings are complex. They come and go without warning, without mercy. Sometimes they are soft and gentle. Sometimes they're exciting and breathtaking. Other times they are forceful and dizzying.

Like you're on the biggest, fastest rollercoaster. At first, it's fun and you smile, and all your insides feel like mush. But then you see the drop, and your heart is in your stomach.

My feelings toward Harry were complicated. I cared for him deeply, and wanted the best for him. But as I spent more time with him, I began to feel things I had felt a long time ago. Things I shouldn't have been feeling.

And the matter only worsened when I was invited by Nancy to help with finding dresses for the bridesmaids. I wondered why she wanted me around as much as she did.

Still, I accepted the invite and though I had met some of the girls already, Nancy was the only one I was entirely comfortable with.

Sitting beside Nancy in a tiny boutique as the bridesmaids tried on dresses, I felt out of place. I remembered Brenda, Sophia, and Eleanor from dinner, but I was finally introduced to another friend of Nancy's, Annie, and Nancy's sister, Jen. They were all very kind, and did their best to make me feel comfortable and part of their clique.

Forcing myself to be comfortable in an unfamiliar environment was hard, but I did it nonetheless.

All the dresses the girls had first tried on were all pretty, but either there were too many ruffles or they were too tight. The color had to be perfect, too. It was a long day and by the end of it, I was glad to crawl into my bed, under my duvet and go to sleep.

I was shown another side to Nancy I thought I'd never see.

While I had known her to be kind and gentle, that day, I learned Nancy was the literal definition of a Bridezilla. She was terrifying when pissed off, and I made mental note not to do anything to step on her toes. However, all the girls seemed used to Nancy's scary side.

She was very demanding, and very stubborn. A few times, I witnessed her stomp her foot and cross her arms. As old as she was, she was behaving like a child, in my opinion.

As each girl came out of their fitting rooms each wearing a baby pink dress that flowed from the waist down, and was perfectly accessorised with a small pink bow on the back, I thought Nancy would be thrilled. I thought the dresses were perfect, especially since Nancy had expressed her love for baby pink.

Unfortunately, Nancy chose to be difficult.

"They all look lovely," I stated, smiling at them all, hoping to sway Nancy into thinking the same.

I meant it too. And looking at each of the girls, the way their different body types took hold of the dress in different, beautiful ways, I momentarily glanced down at my own build. I was nothing like those girls.

"Don't they look beautiful, Nancy?" I asked, looking at the girls again.

Nancy scrunched her nose, shaking her head. All day she made that face and all day, I found myself losing my calm demeanor every time she said something terrible about how the girls looked. I was afraid of what she was going to say this time.

I may have been quiet and reserved most of the time, but I wasn't afraid to stand up for anyone that was mistreated, no matter who it was doing the mistreating.

Nancy said, "Are you blind, Taissa!? They look hideous!" For the first time since meeting Nancy, I wanted to be anywhere but near her. "Sophia," Nancy nearly shouted. "That dress doesn't suit your skin tone. It's too light, and you're just too dark."

Sophia didn't seem too upset, though more annoyed because we had heard too much of Nancy's nagging all day.

Sophia rolled her eyes.