Chapter 11

WOLFE POV

A/N I know it's been a while xD 

__

I was a little surprised that I managed to get to the Lion camp before they did; not only had  they had a head start, but Maxx had known where he was going. Of course, I wouldn't waste too much time thinking about the logistics. I might've been absolutely furious when I left, but I'd calmed down soon enough and now I had to set up. I had to be prepared when they did arrive, and that meant setting up a place to shoot from without being seen. My sniper rifle would be good for the beginning, so I could gauge the amount of hostility and anger directed toward them. 

After unloading my bag, I set up my gun and peered through the scope, adjusting until I was satisfied with my position. Though I'd hated it at the time, I now thanked God for the rigorous training the previous Alpha had put my through; I could lay still for hours, without so much as twitching a muscle. It helped, of course, that I was downwind of them, and that they weren't anticipating a threat. 

I watched the tent flap open as one of the Lion males emerged, tail unhidden and swishing back and forth. The Lions were such an odd breed, refusing to even try to blend in with the humans. They believed that it softened the Pride, made them more vulnerable to attacks. The Pride females, they feared, would develop a longing for a human male, one who would stay faithful to her for the rest of his life.To those outside the Pride, they seemed barbaric and very nearly cruel to their females, but as it was the only life they knew, and the only life they'd likely ever know, the women didn't mind it.

 They were nomads, moving so often from place to place that it was almost impossible to pinpoint their exact location. They lived without caring who saw them in their natural and half-shifted forms, unworried about the ramifications of such actions. Normally, I'd care a bit more about the fact that any hapless human could stumble upon them, potentially endangering every species of shifter, but I couldn't find it in me at the moment to really be upset. Oh, if they entered further into my territory, I'd likely have to say something, but for now they were at the bottom of my list. 

I turned the scope ever-so-slightly to see the opening to their camp-site, focusing in on the path. When I saw the familiar sway of a black pony-tail, a little spark of shock went through me. I knew she'd be there--I'd smelled her long before she'd actually been close enough to see--but the sight of her just blazed through me. I missed her. I wanted her by my side. She hadn't been gone long, but knowing she'd been gone was what had really killed me. 

Maxx walked next to her, a bit of a troubled look on his face. Sheeba trotted in her wolf form slightly behind the others, watchful eyes scanning the crowd of cats as well as the trees. 

I let my ears change shape, straining to hear the conversation about to take place. This was the crucial moment, the deciding factor. 

The first male that approached took one look at her and snarled, crouching to attack. My heart pounded in my chest, and I squeezed the trigger a little bit harder. 

"I just want to talk. I'm not here to be killed, or kill you. I just want to talk." 

The half-shifted Lion growled at her, asking, "Why would we want to speak to you?"

She shrugged, glancing up into the trees at where I was. I startled, watching her eyes stop exactly on my place. How she'd known I was there, I had no idea. I continued to watch, surprise and fear for her life racing through my veins. 

"Because I have the one Alpha you fear more than any other waiting in the trees for the moment he gets to take you out. One wrong move, and you'll all be dead before you even see the bullet."