Chapter 8

I wanted so badly to turn my gaze to the ground...but as a Were I couldn't. It would be a sign of submission, and it would ruin everyone's image of me, even his. 
"She's a Shapeshifter."                          
He narrowed his eyes, arms crossed in front of him. By his stance, it was easy to see he didn't believe me at all. It didn't surprise me really; Shapeshifters were the actual myth.  WereWolves, WereCheetahs, WereDingos, they all exist. A creature that can shift into any animal in existence? Impossible. 
"Don't lie to me." He growled.
A bolt of anger went through me at his obvious disbelief. Alright, it was a hard concept to understand, but to stand there and say that I was lying wasn't necessary...especially when lies had a scent easy to detect. I let it pass though, because obviously he didn't know me well enough to tell when I was lying. 
"I'm not."

I watched his nostrils flare as he scented the air, searching for the sourness of my lie.
"Why didn't she Shapeshift when we were fighting?"
I shrugged.
"Sheeba...only Shifts when she absolutely has to. If she had done it just then, she would've been drained of energy for a while. Why do you think she hasn't shifted to human yet? She doesn't have enough energy to. She hasn't been able to master the art yet."
His brows furrowed at he looked over at her, releasing me from his gaze. I struggled not to let out a relieved breath as the pressure was removed, instead watching the Wolves drag bodies to the basement. 

There were red spots on my beautiful carpet that were never going to come out, dirt from shoes and bare feet all over, and hand prints covered my walls. I pressed my fingers to my temple, feeling a headache come in. 
Arms wrapped around me from behind and I tensed, ready to kick someone's ass, when I recognized the musk coming from the male. Wolfe was walking over to Sheeba, and no one was paying any attention to me, so I relaxed into his arms, just a little. I hated pretending to be strong sometimes.
"Maxx." I sighed.
"Kitten, you have to take a break."
I shook my head, closing my eyes.
"I can't. I have to be here."

He tightened his arms, holding me closer. The heat from his skin seared me, making me realize how cold mine had seemed to become. It wasn't cold outside; what was wrong with me?
"Cat, you've just found your mate, you're suddenly responsible for an entire pack, and you're still moving into your house. You need to take a break because you look like you're going to collapse."
I moved my hands to my eyes, pressing on them to try and relieve the pressure I felt building.

"I can't leave them here."
Wolfe turned around just then, eyes flashing as he saw me with Maxx. He strode over to us, an air of anger radiating from him. He stopped just in front of us, frowning.
"Let her go." He hissed to Maxx.
Maxx loosened his arms, allowing me to step away. I think he just didn't want to put anything else on my shoulders, otherwise he would've held on just to piss Wolfe off.  

Wolfe grabbed me and held me close to his side, and it hit me just how right Maxx had been--I was so tired. Exhausted, actually. So much had happened in so little time, and though I'd managed to keep strong throughout I just wanted to lay down and pretend like it never happened; my entire life had changed, everything from the number of people I was responsible for to the privacy I had in my own home. 

"Wolfe." I whispered. 
All of this stress was falling down on me, creating a headache that felt like millions of little men were taking turns tap dancing and jack hammering my brain. 
"Yeah?"
 "I'm going to go to my room...and take a nap." And with that, I unwound his arm from my waist and walked to my door, shutting it softly behind me. The lights were already off, the blinds shut, so I leaned against the door and cried. I slid down the smooth wood and sat on the floor, watching the tears splat onto the carpet floor, onto my hands, onto my knees that I held close to my chest. Everything was so crazy. My life had suddenly gotten crazy, crazier than before at least, and I didn't have a choice. Of course I'd say that I wanted Wolfe, but I would lose the pack part of the equation. The last thing I needed at this moment was a huge group of people to take care of. And now, I'm sitting in the dark, crying. Not even bawling, just quiet tears. 

I sat there for a second letting them fall before I stood up and took my sportsbra and shorts off, pulling out a bulky t-shirt covered in paint splatters. I  padded over to the bed, pulling the covers back and lying down under them. I stared blankly at the ceiling, letting myself fall into the blackness.

____
Maxx's POV
Wolfe was an idiot. He just let her go into her room alone, not even wondering why she looked so pale. Even when the scent of her tears floated under the door, he just continued talking to the doctor. Wasn't he worried at all? Did he even notice? Cat was going to break with him as her mate. He didn't even see how exhausted she was, didn't even try to understand. I wished I could just go in her room and sit with her, let her spill her problems to me. Of course, I would only do that if I wanted to be ripped apart by a She-wolf, but the thought was still there.

From the looks of things, I wasn't even close to too late; Wolfe was not the best mate, and she responded to me. Maybe I still had a chance with her. I still felt the mating hormones erupt into my system when I looked at her, when I heard her voice, so the fact that she was my mate hadn't changed, but obviously she didn't notice anything. 

Yes, I'd known from the first moment I'd set my eyes on the scraggly ragamuffin that stumbled into our village that she was mine, and at one time she'd felt the same. Had it changed? 

I grabbed Wolfe's arm and hauled him out the door, ignoring his snarling protests. He could try what he was threatening, but I'd do far worse to him. 
"You are an idiot." I snapped, slamming the back door shut.
His eyes were yellow, teeth elongated.
"What are you talking about?"
I let my eyes fade to white, my lion's color, and my claws erupt. Just in case he tried anything.
"Cat. You didn't notice anything about her, just let her walk away."
He balled a fist and punched the wall, cracking the brick. My eyebrows went up at this display of frustration, and I wondered if maybe he had noticed something.

"Of course I know something's wrong with her! I have eyes, I have a nose. But what do you expect me to do? She's not going to confide in me! Has this stupid notion in her head that I'll think she's weak if she tells me about the problems she's having. She doesn't trust me completely. You think she'd be ok with me just waltzing into her room and demanding she tell me what's wrong? How happy do you think she'd be if I acknowledged her tears? I  can't do anything and it's tearing me apart!" He roared the last word, slamming his fist through the wall. I peaked through it, the shocked faces of the people inside staring open mouth back at me. 

"You're going to have to fix that before she notices or she'll cut off your balls and shove them up your ass." I told him, trying to alleviate some of the tension. 
He didn't even smile.
"Look, I understand what you're saying, but did you ever think she needed you to break her door down and demand she tell you what's wrong? Yeah, she's a strong female, but sometimes she needs to lean on someone."
He shook his head, pacing back and forth on her pristine lawn. I decided not to point out that he was wearing away the grass. Figured it wouldn't help.

"She doesn't trust me enough for me to be the person she leans on. And besides, she's asleep now."
I listened closer, but I couldn't hear her breathing or anything.
"You're really attuned to her, aren't you."
His eyes were back to their natural color, and he stared at me.
"She's my world." He breathed.  

____
So that was a boring chapter...the next one will be way better, promise :D
 Don't forget to vote/comment!!!