The Hairtye of Luck

"Happy Birthday, my sweet Paige. May this bring you luck," her father said handing her a box.

She quickly opened it revealing a blue hair ribbon.

"Thanks daddy! I love love love it!" 5 year old Paige said with an excited smile.

"Well, go on and put it on," her father said.

Paige quickly tied the hairband into her hair half up, half down. It stuck up in the back a little and swayed when she moved her head.

"You look beautiful," he said giving her a pat on the head.

She smiled and went over to her cello. She started to play, hair band swaying to the music. For age 5, she was already quite accomplished with making music.

When she was finished, her father clapped proudly, "Keep practicing, and you'll be as good as me!"

"I hope I can be as good as you daddy," she said with a smile.

He said nothing and just smiled back.
---------------
As Paige Castello walked down the street, cello on back, her hair tie swayed back and fourth with each step. She was recalling the time when her father gave her that hair tie, 11 years ago. It held such meaning to her, going through everything with that tie. This cold Saturday evening in California, would mean a lot for her cello carrier. She was counting on her father, the famous Michael Castello, to be there for her. Paige would be performing in front of 4 judges. 4 of the top judges in the country. She had worked countless hours preparing for this. She would be playing one of the hardest songs she has done: Paganini Caprice 24 ( if you don't know what this song is, look it up! Its pretty good.) Attending Dash Harrington High School, she was first chair cello. Even though all of the pieces given to her were easy, she maintained her position throughout high school. Her father pushed her to her max. Sometimes resulting with beating her if she didn't get all of the notes. Though tough and tough, Paige still loved her father dearly. She strived to be like him, though she did get beaten and yelled at with harsh words. Paige had a very strict schedule. She never hung out with any of her friends, not that she had any. She would go home, practice, eat, do her homework and practice with what time she had left.

Paige was filled with anxiety. She couldn't wait until her father heard her music. During the time walking to the auditorium, where she would play, Paige replayed the song over and over in her head. She was confident in her playing and strived for first. She reached the doors of the auditorium and took a deep breath. She pushed open the doors to find many people busying themselves with trying to find their child or finding a seat. Paige walked all the way to the backstage area, avoiding the crowd.

"Paige Castello. So you've decided to come," a voice from behind said.

She slowly turned around only to find one of her biggest competitors, Anastasia Hall.

"I would never turn an opportunity like this," Paige snapped back.

Anastasia just rolled her eyes and strutted away. Paige just shook her off and got her cello unpacked. She sat in the hall alone, waiting for all the other performers to play. She waited for what seemed like eternity, until her name was finally called.

"Paige Castello, you're on in 5!" the speaker blared.

She slowly stood up, walked to her cello and picked it up. She waited in front of the doors waiting for them to be opened.

"Paige! Paige! We need to go to the hospital. NOW," someone yelled from behind.

Paige turned around, eyes wide, looking at the paramedic who stood in front of her.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Yo- your father," he stuttered out of breath.

Her eyes widened even more then they were and she quickly put everything down and raced out of the auditorium with the paramedic to the car as they raced off.
-------------
She ran into the hospital frantically asking where her father was to the receptionist. Paige ran through the hallway and straight into his room.

She stopped at the doorway when tears formed in her eyes. 4 doctors were standing there with a sad expression on their faces. She already knew.

"What happened?!" She asked sobbing.

"He was hit by a truck. We assume that the truck driver was drunk. Your father had tried to swerve but was hit, straight on," one of the doctors said.

"Mrs. Paige, your father asked for you before he passed. I'm sure he loved you very much," another doctor said.

"If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know," another said.

She nodded and continued to cry as she waked over to where her father looked peaceful on the bed. She took his hand in his and sat there crying for hours. She didn't know how late it was, nor did she care. She had lost the one family member that kept her going, the one who motivated her so much to be the thing she wanted most. Her mother hadn't even bothered to show up. Paige knew she didn't love her father and they were forced into marriage by her long gone grandparents. The one thing she was sure of at the moment, was how she was never going to play cello again.
------------
After attending her own father's funeral, she sat in her room for as long as she could remember. Her cello had been anonymously returned from the auditorium. Thoughts raced into her mind. Why did this have to happen to me? I am the worst daughter in the world. I can't believe he's gone.

With what money Paige had left, and what her father had left her, Paige continued to go to school for the next two years living on her own, living in her quiet state of mind and living without love.
----------
A/N

Hey guys! This is my first story so please please please feel free to comment or message me to tell what you think! I also have 3 things:

1. Let me know what you think, your ideas mean a lot to me.

2. If you comments anything rude or mean, I will simply block you and delete all of your comments :)

3. Enjoy reading and or writing! Wattpad is somewhere where you can express your feelings and admire other people's work.

Hope you guys will stick with me!

Love ya 😘