The Unorthodox Life of Aaliyah Kaye Marx (23)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

    I awoke slowly, I didn't know where I was or who was here with me ... All I knew was that my entire body was aching and my tongue felt thick and dry. I could feel and see light in front of my eyelids but was much too tired to even attempt opening them.    

   There was a rustling sound, outside the room, and I felt my wolf perk up inside me and a small whine escaped my lips. I scolded her and relaxed into the soft sheets once more. She had way too much control over us ... A lot more than what I was comfortable with her having. I heard the soft click of a door opening and closing and somebodies body heat filled the room. A new scent was added to the mix of familiar old ones that surrounded me.  

   "Is she awake yet?" His soft voice asked. So familiar yet so ... Not. A voice I hadn't heard in years, so long, in fact - that it barely registered in my memory.  

   "No." Came the curt reply that sent shivers through my entire being. Kaden, his voice was close.       "She fights well."  

    "Of course she does, she's a street fighter - of course that would follow through in wolf form."      

"My daughter does WHAT?!" And that's when it hit me. The familiar yet unfamiliar scent and voice. Dad.      

 "Yeah, she street fights - I'm glad I brought her into that. She was able to DEFEND herself against her own fucking FATHER'S pack." I heard Jay growl. I wanted to shush him, calm him down before he did something stupid.    

   "Don't talk to me like that in my house."    

   "Why shouldn't I DAD?! Where have you been DAD?! Why did you attack your own son and daughter DAD?!"     

  There was a short silence and then Jay spoke up again, his voice demanding. "Well?!- Never mind US. How could you do that to Mom? She never was the same after that - she blamed Ali for a lot of your SHIT!" Jay roared at him. I have to stop him, I tightened my fists and mentally rolled my eyes at how weak I felt. It was like waking up in the morning and not being able to twist open the cap on the orange juice for the first half an hour. I continued clenching my fists, feeling myself regaining my strength quickly.  

    I heard a scuffle and then, "I told you I'd explain everything when she wakes up!"  

    "Get your hands off him. He has every right to be angry!" My eyes twitched at hearing Devyn defend Jay like that. He's so sweet sometimes.    

   "Just because you're an Alpha's son doesn't mean I won't hesitate to kick you out of my house." My father growled and my fists clenched at his tone. I wanted so badly to slap him. I tried to find the muscles that would open my eyes but my attempts seemed futile. I felt so drained and weakened. My neck and shoulders were throbbing painfully and every breath I took felt restricted. I heard a thump and father's angry gasp of pain and then came the all too familiar sounds of fists hitting skin. All four men seemed to be involved in the tussle. I heard a sharp gasp of pain and suddenly my eyes flew open, just like that.    

    Kaden was in pain. My eyes narrowed in anger at the scene before me. Dad had already kicked Devyn out of the room and I could currently hear him pounding on the door - which would cave soon if Dad didn't let him back in. Kaden was stood in front of Jay, a fistful of his hair in my Dad's hand and my Dad was dragging him towards the door too while Jay attempted to duck around him to get another shot in at our father.    

    Kaden grunted again and ripped his head back, trying to throw off Dad's tight grip. My reflexes must have thrown me from the bed. Either that or my wolf was making my limbs work, because all I knew was that I was spent and even this slight movement was draining me further. Running purely on anger, I leapt straight off the bed and wedged myself between Kaden and Dad, sinking my sharp canines into Dad's forearm - forcing him to let go of Kaden, who stumbled back, panting slightly.      "Don't you dare lay a fucking hand on him," I growled, standing tall. I saw irritation flicker in Dad's eyes and another unknown emotion, I was afraid to think what it might have been but for some reason my thoughts kept wandering to pride. I stalked over to the door, as much as my stiff limbs would let me and unlocked it - yanking it open, causing Devyn to tumble in. He took me in his arms and I felt my heart flutter and my anger dissipated, just like that. He gazed down at me with a soft smile that turned hard when he turned his eyes to my father.