Chapter 1

Chapter 1

It had started all over again.

Why?

I thought I dealt with the past. Why did I start to have these nightmares again? My head was floating with all these questions that I had no answers to.

"Sally." My thought process disappeared as I floated back to the present. There standing in front of me was Claire, our manager. To be frank behind her back no one calls her Claire instead she has very colourful names because she is one dreadful person to work under. I have never seen her smile once since I have been here, there was always a frown etched on her face. Was she born with that awful frown? Her blue steel eyes bore into me like she waiting for a response or something. Did she ask me something? Well maybe if you paid attention rather than talking to yourself it might help, I thought to myself. Her thin lips started moving which made me snap myself into the present once again. "Do you understand?" Her deep voice hit my ears. Understand what? What did she say to me? I did a quick look around the table to see if anyone's facial expression would give me a hint. Everyone looked around with a boredom expression etched to their faces; I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this meeting is very tedious. However, my co-worker Amber gave me a wide smile as she lifted her hand to show her thumb. So, I guess whatever she was on about must be something good because Amber gave me the thumbs up.

I looked back at Claire and confidently uttered the one word she wanted to hear, "Yes."

"Good, so you have to write an excellent piece of article on anything for our love and relationship column. I'll email you the date for the deadline."

What?!

"Love and relationship column?" I couldn't help myself and mutter those words for Claire to hear.

"Yes, I'm giving you a second chance to write me a good piece of work. If you fail you could say goodbye to your position in this company."

What position? Working as an intern, to me feels like a slave labour. Yes, for months I have been slaving away ensuring I had bought right coffees for everyone. Photocopying, filing and binding documents for Claire. Working in a dusty archive room to ensure everything was in correct dates. Everything I did was something I did not enjoy. I always wanted to write something, to see my name printed on a glossy magazine so everyone could see the real me; a passionate journalist who would take the readers on a ride with my words and journeys. However, the main people that I want to prove to are my beloved parents; I want to show them I can become successful without their excessive need to interfere to make everything easier for me.

I remember my really first job as a sale assistant, I was ecstatic that I got a job that I had to tell Myra everything. You know how we girls have to tell our best friends everything. But when I found out after couple of days how I did not receive the job with my own merit but due to my parents bribing the manager, I felt utterly sick and upset. The most upsetting thing was the manager thought I was not right for the job before my parents whooshed in and bribed the jerk. Obviously I quit the job and didn't try to pursue any job until I graduated from university.

Before I even started the internship I survived by receiving a nice amount of money from my parents. Okay fine, I still receive the large amount of money on a monthly basis. There's no harm in that, it's not like my parents would be bankrupt. They are money making machines their main goal is to thrive and keep at it.

"How cool is this you get to write an article!" Stated Amber with excitement as her blue eyes twinkled.

We walked out of the meeting room and were currently making our way to our work desks. "Yeah." I muttered not being able to match the excitement.