Chapter 10: Feeling Useless

Start from the beginning

"No," Mason finally replies with a soft shake of his head. "There isn't anything that you need to worry about, I just want to run something by the two of you." Brandon nods his head but says silent as he lowers his eyes from Mason's. I can still see the worry in his eyes, so I send him a smile to try and ease his worry. He smiles back, but it doesn't reach his eyes. Surely he knows that his friendship means the world to me, and with that friendship comes some of my protection... even if it's from our Alpha.

"Okay," Mason sighs, pulling our attention to him, "let's get this shit over with. I want this Rogue taken care of as soon as we are done, and we have the information we need." I look to Jason to see him nod. His green eyes fierce as he stares at Mason. I swallow as I glance back at the house. This is it.

We enter the house and head down the stairs towards the cells. I have never been down here before, but I have seen the cells that Alpha Dylan threw the Rogues in that trespassed... and anyone who broke one of his many rules. It was cold. I hated being down there, but my father – Robert – insisted that as the daughter of the Beta I needed to be able to handle seeing people down there. I never understood why. I was never going to be Beta or anything of that pack so at the time I dreaded the days he would drag me down there. Now, I can't help but appreciate that this won't be the first time seeing something like this. I don't think it's something I'll ever get used to, but at least it won't be a shock.

The knots in my stomach tighten with each step Mason takes. Sensing the sudden change in my feelings, he stops only halfway down the stairs and looks at me. I don't even have to say anything, he just knows what's going on inside my head, as he usually does. He looks over his shoulder and nods his head down the stairs and we stand to the side as Jason and Brandon continue on their way. He watches the two of them until they pass through the doorway and are out of sight before turning his eyes back to me.

"What is it?" His fingers glide slightly up and down my leg as I lean closer to him.

'Even at my old pack, I didn't like going down to the cells. Robert made me, but I never really got used to it. I don't like seeing the people down there, even if they deserve to be in there,' I explain. I take a deep breath and look at him. 'I just need a minute before we head down. Just a minute and then I'll be fine.'

"Take your time, Red. I know the cells are not a pleasant place to be. I also know that going to see that bastard that did this to you," he leans forward to run his nose along my bruised face, "is hard, but you're one of the toughest people I know. I know you can do this." I smile at him and then glance back at the doorway. I can't hear anyone yelling like they were the last time I was in a pack's prison.

'Are there a lot of people down there?'

"No, it's just him for now. We haven't had any other attacks where Rogues were left alive, so they've been empty until a week ago." I look back at the door again and suck in another breath. Pain shoots through my ribs, but I push it aside as I look into Mason's amber eyes and nod my head, indicating that I'm ready.

We start moving again and I watch as the warm glow from the stairs turns into a cold one as we walk through the doorway. My eyes dart to the left and the right. There are two rows of cells lined with what I'm assuming to be silver bars. Silver won't kill us, but it does weaken us... making us almost human. It slows our healing process and dulls our strength, making it easier for our enemies to kill us. The hallway seems to go on forever, but our journey ends when Mason steps in front of the fourth cell down. I turn to look inside and sitting on the bed, with a smirk on his beaten and bruised face is the Rogue.

The only emotions I can register within my body are hate and disgust. He looks like he's already hurting from the fresh bruises on his cheeks and under his eyes, but that isn't enough for me or my wolf. She wants to rip him to shreds for touching us. She starts pacing my mind, eager to come out. I should be pushing her down, but this is the most I've felt of her since I woke up. Maybe whatever the hell was in my system is finally dissipating. I look away not wanting to look into those cold eyes. He has me here so he will talk, but he isn't getting the satisfaction of my complete attention. I close my eyes and lean my head against Mason's neck, inhaling his scent in hopes of calming my wolf. I'm not supposed to shift right now. With the pain I'm already in, I can't even imagine the pain that would come from shifting.