My father stopped foreword, between the two of us. He held his hand up, as if holding Vanessa back from lunging at me. "Vanessa, stop."

"If he dies, I'll never forgive you." Her once sparkling emerald eyes that danced with life were flat and dead. The venom from her obvious jealously seeped from her words, making my chest feel tight from guilt. “Never.” Vanessa gave me one last dirty look, before she stalked off upstairs, her fists clenched at her sides.

I glanced down at my son still asleep in my arms – the future Alpha of the Black Crescent pack. His safety was the most important thing to me but I had Chris and Vanessa to deal with and now, Shane? It seemed life decided that it’d be better to chuck a few more lemons at my head first.

My father gingerly took Dakota out of my arms as he watched me cautiously, almost as if I were a hungry bear or something. “I have to set up my old office again today, and I'm guessing you’ll want to go to the hospital so… I’ll drop Dakota off with Emilee today, okay?”

I answered, grateful that I had at least the support of someone to make life a little easier to handle, “Thank you.”

I just couldn't deal with my sister right now. If I let anything else stress me out, I would be the only nineteen year old with grey hair. I mean, I wanted to go upstairs and console her, tell her different, but those lifeless eyes glaring at me stopped me.

More importantly, I knew I needed to see Shane for myself.

The guilt I felt for running away from him when he was just trying to help was eating me alive. So I grabbed my keys and was out the door right then and there. I slipped into my father's beaten up pick-up truck and recklessly reversed into the road without looking. Only one thing was on my mind - to see if I had ruined someone else's life.

"You'd think I was a walking jinx," I murmured to myself, brushing my hair back from my eyes.

It couldn't have taken more than fifteen minutes before I was standing at the main reception desk yelling at an overly stubborn nurse in Chedoke Hospital.

"What do you mean someone requested no visitors for him?"

The nurse's badge hanging from her neck claimed her name was Rose. I wasn't sure if I believed it. Rose sounded too sweet for this woman with a scowl permanently gracing her lips.

"It means that a kin of Mr. Lawson has informed us they wouldn't be comfortable with having visitors be present in the room while they are not." Rose snapped, looking at me with a bored look on her face.

I couldn't help but grind my teeth to fight back my rude retort. "Fine. Can I know when his kin plans to visit again so I can be here?"

She stood from her seated position, rummaging through different coloured papers before pulling out a dull yellow paper. "It says that the primary emergency contact will not be returning due to a relocation to Seattle for personal matters."

"What's the name?" I urged slapping my hand on the counter, seeing the hesitant look in the nurse's eyes. "Tell me!"

"C-Christopher Lawson."

I felt my stomach drop as soon as his name left her lips. It felt like another punch to the chest knowing he felt the need to get that far away; I knew it was from me. I didn't even bother replying before turning and walking out of the hospital doors.

Molly took him. Actually took him. But why Seattle? And why the hell would he request no visitors? How could Chris just leave Shane like that? For some tramp no less.

The sudden vibrations from my jean’s pocket broke me from my thoughts as I reached for my cell phone.

"Hello?"