Chapter 1

Imani's POV

"This is going to be the year for me, it has to be the year for me" I mumbled to myself as I was getting dressed for school.

We were currently two weeks into the school year, and exactly a month away from my 17th birthday. While thinking of the big party that I was planning on having, my phone started ringing.

I looked and saw it was Asia, quickly answering.

"Hello?" I said as I held the phone with my cheek and shoulder, putting on some adidas joggers.

"Bihhhhh you riding the cheese or do you want a ride to school?" Asia asked, laughing at someone in the background

"What you think?! Who giving you a ride?" I said, tying the laces to my white huaraches.

"Can't tell you allat! Just be outside in 15 minutes" Asia said, hanging up the phone.

I wonder who gave them a ride.

The thought drifted from my mind as I put on a black sports bra and slipped a white V-neck over it. I did my curly hair up into a bun and put some hoop earrings in. As I was spraying on my Victoria Secret Bombshell perfume I heard a car honk outside.

I quickly grabbed my phone, my headphones and charger, and my book bag and ran downstairs. I rushed into the kitchen pantry and grabbed a strawberry pop tart as I proceeded outside to the car.

As I neared the car, I finally recognized who was in the driver's seat, Jacquees. I looked in the backseat and saw Myah and Asia smiling extra hard at me.

"Hey you guys" I said, forcing a smile on my face as I opened the back seat door.

"Nope" Myah said, shaking her head at me. "There's no room back here, you're gonna have to sit in the front"

I mentally killed her in my head as I slammed the back door and opened the passenger's door, sliding in and placing my book bag on the floor.

"Good morning Imani, you look pretty" Jacquees smiled at me, showing his gold grill on his bottom teeth.

Don't give in Imani, don't give in.

"I'm not wearing anything special" I said sharply, not falling into his trap.

"Geesh ma, it was just a compliment." He chuckled lightly, holding his hands up in surrender.

I looked away, finding my grass very interesting. There was a brief moment of silence before he started the car and pulled off from in front of my house.

After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, Jacquees finally turned on the radio and "Body Party" by Ciara was on.

Jacquees turned it up a little bit before he started singing along, hitting all the right notes. Myah, Asia, and I instantly looked at each other, all making a face.

"I didn't know you could sing" I finally said, looking at him with a slight smile.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me baby girl" He said, winking at me as he pulled up into the school.

Before he even fully parked, I was out of the car in a second as I paced towards the school with Myah and Asia calling after me.

I made my way to the restroom and leaned against the sink, breathing deeply. I looked up at myself and took in my appearance. I guess you could say I was nice-looking. I had naturally curly hair, and whenever I felt like straightening my hair it stopped a little over the middle of my back. I had basic brown eyes, but they got lighter in the summer time. That was as far as my good looks went, though. My nose was slightly big, and I had a small gap. I had boobs, but no ass. I will admit, I did poke in some things, but sometimes my sh*t looked so flat I even felt bad for myself.