“Jump in this ditch!” Danny spurted out quickly as he dived into a trench made of dirt.

Leon jumped in after Danny.  They both stumbled down the trench and laid at the bottom. Defeated by the lack of energy that was plaguing them as they ran, they could not move for a moment. The night sky glazed with stars dimly lightened the trench that the two boys occupied. Panting and distraught, the two brothers lay there basking in the moonlight and stargazing for a moment. Almost being pulled into the surrealism of the night, they calmed down.

“We’re gonna die... We’re gonna die...” Danny whispered quietly. The fear was audible in his speech.

“No. We’re not. We just need to get to the house.” Leon reassured Danny with a more firm and calm tone.

“How are we going to do that?”

There was a moment of silence. Leon wasn’t sure how to reply to that, he didn’t really think it through well.

“Did you hear about the farmland serial killer?” Leon changed the subject.

“Who?” Danny hesitated for a moment. He wasn’t sure whether hearing about a farmland serial killer would help the morale of their current situation.

“Aaron Lanied. That’s his name. Over the course of five years he’s been going to various farmlands and slaughtering full families of four. It was always the parents and two brothers,“ Leon pressed on with the story. “His victims all lived on a farm in the middle of no where. “

“That’s... That’s what we are!” Danny interrupted.

“Yes. It’s probably him and an acquaintance. The sooner we call the cops the better. They’re not going to leave this place until they kill us too.”

“How are we going to get to the house?!”

“Sprint.” Leon quickly answered. Grasping the dirt he pulled himself up and out of the ditch and quickly began his run towards the house.

“W-Wait!” Danny shouted. Without time to think, he pulled himself out of the ditch and chased after him. “Oh please God. I hope this works. I don’t wanna die. I don’t wanna die.”

“Just keep sprinting! Stop wasting your breath.” Leon exclaimed as they ran across the field and began to reach the vicinity of the house.

Approaching the back door in which they had escaped from Leon grabbed the door and slid it open quietly. Exhausted from all the running the two brothers crept inside and quickly motioned towards the darkened kitchen. Danny grabbed the phone and prepared to dial. Futile.

“The phone...” Danny frantically pressed on the numbers attempting to call anywhere. “The phone line was cut... THE PHONE LINE WAS CUT! WE’RE GOING TO DIE!”

“CALM DOWN! We still have the radio in the barn. We haven’t been caught yet. RELAX. We just have to go the barn before any of them fin--” Leon was cut off by a foreign voice.

“Found you!” a boy stood there, staring at the two brothers. He was tall, and he didn’t look any older than them. In his hand he held a knife and he slowly began to approach Danny. “I’m going to fucking kill you. You piece of shit. You twisted motherfucker.”

Danny was frozen in place. Backed up against the counters of his kitchen, there was no escape. He couldn’t move and his eyesight locked onto the knife of his imminent doom. Staring as the dim light glistened from the crimson coated chromatic blade he shuddered and whimpered.

“Kill him...” Leon whispered from behind Danny.

“W-What?” Danny managed to force his lips to utter a reply.