6. The Mafia Tour Guide

Start from the beginning

I stopped listening when I felt an arm wrap themselves around my shoulders. "Sneaking off, now are we?" Someone whispered into my ear.

Turning around, I nearly faint.

Will was smiling down at me.

I remained silent as I tried to wrap my mind around how twisted fate was. Not that him and I were fated at all.

"Wh-wha-"

"Now tell me if I'm wrong, but it looked to me like you were about to go out exploring by yourself?" He smirked, knowing her was spot on about that.

I simply studied him, wondering how he found me.

"Let's see, you were most definitely berating yourself this morning, wondering how you were stupid enough to agree to my offer yesterday..." He paused, waiting for me to disagree. "Then you concluded that I was some con artist out to get you, right?"

"Rapist or drug lord, actually," I said.

He looked surprised by my answer.

"I watch a lot of CSI, okay!" I defended.

"You Americans and your TV, I tell ya," he chuckled.

"Fine, you caught me! But realistically, I don't know enough about you. How am I supposed to know you're who you claim to be," I argued.

"That problem can be remedied easily," he said before turning to the old lady who was studying us with a smile on her face. "Please tell this, dramatic girl, who I am, Fiona."

Wait, they knew each other.

"He is who he claims to be, dearie," she told me.

"Will, right?" I asked, just to be sure.

She nodded. "Will Davis. He stays over here every now and then, I assure you."

I nodded. "And you know for a fact that he's no mafia, or the second coming of the Godfather?"

She chuckled. "Yes, sweetheart. But his family does-"

"That'll be all, Fiona. Thanks," Will interrupted before dragging me away from the reception area. "Now, as that's all settled then. Let's go on an adventure."

* * *

The 'adventure' my delirious tour guide took me on started with a visit to one of New York's most renowned spots. Times Square.

It definitely looked different to when it was night time, but it was still magnificent.

Then we went to the Empire State Building, the museum, then to the Statue of Liberty.

As the tour guide continued, I concluded that I had nothing to worry about concerning Will. Despite his obvious 'I'm gorgeous' persona, he was a pretty alright guy.

Actually, on second thought, he was a great guy, considering he insisted on paying for everything. Our admittance to those attractions, lunch and even some souvenirs.

"Really, you don't have to," I insisted as he handed me a plastic replica of the statue of liberty.

He ignored me. "You forget," he smiled, "my family's in the mafia, so I have a lot of money to spend."

My face reddened. "About that... I'm sorry about jumping to conclusions. You're actually the sweetest guy I've met since coming to New York."

He arched a brow. "So, you have met other guys before me?"

I scoffed. "Yeah, and that guy got me fired from a job. So you are definitely the sweetest guy."

"Sweetest. Handsomest. Cutest. Coolest," he added as we walked into Starbucks. "Coffee?"

I nodded. "This time, I'm buying."

He looked about ready to argue, so I held up a finger, "Consider it my thank you for today."

After some thought, he nodded as he went to take a sit at the table nearest to the window.

"One caramel macchiato and one flats white," I told the girl at the counter.

"Which one do you want?" I asked Will five minutes later.

"Hmm," he contemplated between the two drinks before picking the macchiato.

"My beloved," I called out jokingly as he grabbed my favorite drink.

"You like it too?" He asked.

I nodded.

"We do have similar tastes, now don't we?"

The burger, now caramel macchiato.

I smiled at the thought. "It seems we do."

"Here you go," he handed it back to me.

"You can have it. A little flats white here and there won't hurt."

He chuckled. "I insist."

"I think you've gotten your way too much today. So keep it."

He smirked. "I knew you'd say that," he took a huge gulp of the drink before smiling at me with satisfaction.

All I could do was drink down my second favorite drink as I watched busy New Yorkers and go about their busy life.

"So what brought you to New York?" Will asked.

"I came for an interview here, but well, that didn't exactly work out."

"The other guy you met contributed to this?"

I nodded. "He actually played a huge part in it."

"How?"

"Let's just say, people with money's opinions matter more than people with normal background."

His brows furrowed together as he nodded. "Don't have to tell me that."

"And you? What brought you to New York, besides the burger?"

"I'm actually just passing through here. Just stopped over for the burger then I'll be on my way."

"Fine. What brings you to America then?"

"Family obligations," he replied simply. His expression told me he didn't want to elaborate.

Our conversation continued on until my alarm went off, telling me that I should be heading back to start packing.

"I have to be heading back," I frowned. I actually enjoyed talking to him.

He nodded. "Let's go t-"

He gets cut off when his phone vibrates on the table. "Hold on." He stares at the screen, his eyes darkening instantly. "I gotta take this," he doesn't wait for my reply before he gets up as walks out of Starbucks.

Five minutes later, he walks back in. "I'm sorry. You'll have to go back first. I have to ... do something."

I nodded, although I had hoped we could still talk on the way back.

"I will definitely be back in time to see you off."

I nodded.

"Great," he smiled as he leaned in and kissed me on my forehead. "See you then."

The next thing I see is his back as he runs out of Starbucks.