OI Chapter 34

My whole body flinched and then tried to curl inward as I watched the swift approach of the pick up truck. I hadn’t even realized that I’d stopped breathing until it t-boned the black car behind me in traffic and my breath wheezed out. The sound of truck meeting car were horrific and even squeezing my eyes closed I couldn’t shut off the flashback of the dizzying sensation of my parents car cart wheeling through the dark night. Instinctively I put the Jeep into park, every muscle tense and every limb trembling like a leaf I just knew that I had to get out of the car. Rational was pretty much out the window as the soles of my shoes slapped against the wet pavement.

Approaching the driver’s window of the truck, my brain accessed the crumpled front end and the driver slumped over an air bag, knowing that it could’ve been a lot worse. Tapping my fingers against the window, I noticed a bit of movement from the driver. I wasn’t sure what I was doing. It was stupid to not have grabbed my phone out of the Jeep so that I could call for help, but I hadn’t really been thinking about any of that. My instinct had told me that I needed to go and make sure that those people knew they weren’t alone. It wouldn’t matter to them that my knees were knocking together because I was scared shitless, the only thing that would matter was the fact that they weren’t alone.

The driver of the pick up was coming around and he looked like he was going to be alright, if a bit battered by the air bag. He unlocked his door and I opened it enough to wedge myself inside. I didn’t touch him. I just did what any sensible person in that situation might do, I babbled and rambled until police officers and emergency medical technicians arrived on the scene.

“Miss are you alright,” one EMT asked me. I just nodded and was baffled when she passed me a handful of tissues. I hadn’t even realized that I was crying.

I backed away and wiped my eyes. I knew that I should leave, but I couldn’t bring myself to get back into the Jeep. The very idea was terrifying and in turn made me extremely upset with myself because the Jeep was a safe haven. I had made it so and it scared me spit less to think that if I’d been going just a bit slower or had left the Heathman ten seconds later it would have been me that the grey pick up truck had ploughed into.

“Ma’am your vehicle needs to be moved,” a police officer told me.

Biting my lip, I shook my head. I really didn’t want to get back in the Jeep while I was afraid, but I didn’t really have a choice. Wandering slowly back toward it, I eyed my surroundings. Scouting my current location and what buildings and businesses were nearby. Spotting the semi-full parking lot of a nearby Holiday Inn Express & Suits, I made my plan and took a deep breath. Getting back into the car I made the quick two minute drive to the Holiday Inn and parked in an out of the way spot.

Fingers shaking, I flipped through my contacts until I got to the number I wanted and pressed the call button. It rang a few times before Quinn picked up.

“Hey Calla! I haven’t seen much of you since you switched to half days. The guys wanted me to tell you that lunch just isn’t the same without you,” he joked.

“Uh huh,” I mumbled, “Listen, I… Are you doing anything?”

“Nah, just me and a couple of the guys are waiting around for the game to start. Why what’s up,” he asked.

“I need you to come and get me, bring one of the guys. I’m at the Holiday Inn off of 72nd Avenue North-East,” I blurted. There was silence on the other end of the phone for such a long time I began to wonder if he was going to refuse.

Quinn said, “I guess we could stop by your place on the way and pick up Kale’s Jeep if it’s there.”

“Not necessary,” I mumbled, “I, uh, it’s here. I had to meet someone and well, it’s a long story. The need to know is that an accident just happened behind me and I’m a little…” I almost admitted to him that I was freaked out. I cleared my throat and tried again, “I just can’t make myself…” I could feel the tears gathering in my eyes at the frustration of having to explain and not wanting to be weak at the same time. Finally, I just said very softly, “Please just come and get me.”