Element of Surprise

Start from the beginning

"No, that's irrational. That's stupid."

"Don't worry Austin, I'm just proposing different ideas."

"I have the gun, I could give it to you, or I could keep it. Maybe I'll need to shoot someone."

It was one of the hardest decisions in my life at that time for me. This could influence everything that happens ahead of that moment. I remember how much I thought and was silent that exact moment. I didn't respond and just stared at the gun in Angelo's hand. I bet I had looked like a dumbass.

But Angelo let me take my time, he didn't say a word about my thoughts.

"I-- I think I'll take the gun."

My stutter made me sound like a pussy for a moment, and I thought I cracked my reputation around Angelo for a second.

"It's only a gun Austin, nothing to be scared of. Only one time should you ever be scared of a gun, and that's the user of it. Not the gun itself. Trust me on this."

His attempt to comfort me still let me remain a little anxious. I wasn't shaking like a pussy or anything, but I just felt a bit spooked at the concept of needing to pop a cap in someone at the time.

"You know how to use that, right?"

I nodded.

"When we go, I'll be right the gas station like I said. Okay?"

"Yes, I think I got it. We'll both come but you stay at the gas station really close by, and I just meet with the guy. If it goes south I might shoot him, but not kill him."

"Sounds like a plan. Hey, have you ate anything yet today?"

"Yeah I went to Carlos' place this morning actually."

"Really?! How was it?"

"It was great man, I loved the tacos he makes. He was pretty chill too."

"Yeah, ever since-- you know what happened, he's became more chill and calm. Plus he's a damn good cook."

"Hell yeah."

"Haha, good to know you two clicked. Now you gotta meet Juan or Ramirez soon."

"Sure, sometime man. Sometime."

"Yeah, we could be like a crew of five altogether."

"I miss Michael."

"Sorry-- who's he again?"

"He's the friend who died in that gang accident remember?"

"Ohhh, yeah."

"Yeah I miss him. Although we weren't the best of friends. Seeing him go out like that... just makes me sad y'know?"

"It is what it is man. I been there and done that too. You guys just did stupid shit and got in more trouble than you guys needed to get in. But hey, you're still here aren't you?"