Prologue | editing |

Start from the beginning

Sierra was slightly shaken by a gentle hand. She used what little energy she had left to look up at the brown haired and blue eyed boy. He kept her awake as another boy, who looked similar to the boy helping her, came over with the nurse. She was gently lifted by the two boys and carried to the nurses office where she was able to rest until lunch. When she woke up, the boys were back and smiling. This confused her. The boy who had gotten the nurse spoke first. "Hi, I'm Liu. It's nice to meet you, I guess...this is kinda awkward..." she nodded and slightly smiled. They seemed nice, and not only that, they were talking to her.

The second boy, his smile weaker said, "are you okay? I know how hard Randy can hit. Oh, I'm Jeff by the way." She smiled and thanked him, asking, "what made you help me? I'm just some low life..." she hung her head and sighed. He spoke gently, "because, I'm new, and he messes with me too..." this made her smile and look at him. He smiled back and Liu just sat awkwardly. They talked a bit more and quickly she realized they were becoming friends. She had recognized them as the boys who had moved in across the street a week ago. The Woods family.

Sierra spent the rest of the day with a smile on her face for she had made friends. She opened the door to the house and ran upstairs, her mother passed out on the floor like usual. She layed on her bed, looking out the window and listening to music when she saw Jeff and Liu walk out and sit on the curb. They talked for awhile when Randy and his buddies rode up on scooters. They started harassing the two boys, asking Liu for his wallet and telling Jeff to back off when he stopped Liu from giving them the money. Sierra wanted to help, but knew she couldn't. This went on for awhile when Jeff suddenly, anger in his eyes, pushed Randy down. Liu yelled at Jeff, telling him to just back off, but he was blinded by a thirsty rage. Jeff started beating Randy, the other boys backing off after a few good punches. Liu was finally able to drag Jeff inside, calming him down and looking out the window at the bloody mess that filled the street. An ambulance was called by a neighbor who had stumbled across Randy and the police quickly arrived at the Woods residence, questioning Jeff and Liu. Jeff had a scared look which turned to remorse as Liu stepped forward and a cop glared him. He was turned and hand-cuffed then lead to the cop car in the driveway.

Sierra layed back, one of her only friends arrested for something he didn't do, the day they meet. That was just her luck. But aside from her own feelings, she went across the street to talk to Jeff. He opened the door and lead her inside. They sat together on his bed in silence. Jeff finally turned to her, tears in his eyes. "This is all my fault. I should've been yhe being dragged away." Sierra awkwardly wrapped an arm around Jeff, pulling him into a loose hug he started crying. "I saw it Jeff, all of it. I know it was you who beat up Randy. But don't worry, he's not dead, and Liu can't be charged as an adult. It should be fine..." he hiccuped and wiped his eyes, thanking her as she pulled away. They stayed there talking until Jeff's mom got home.

When the lady walked in, Jeff could tell almost instantly that she already knew. He turned to Sierra, talking quietly. "I think you should go now." Sierra nodded, standing and following him out. Before she could leave, Jeff's mom, Margaret, stopped her say hello. After the awkward introduction, she left back to her own home.

Over the next month, Sierra was at Jeff's house everyday. The pain of not knowing what was to come to Liu was Killing Jeff. Everyday she would hug him and promise him it would be okay. But sometimes, it was to convince herself as well. Liu's trial was tomorrow and she was helping Jeff prepare. He finally started to relax about it when she said she would stay the night with him. They had grown close, so this wasn't strange for her, but that particular night was different. He needed her there. Something about her kept him sane and he needed it in that moment.

The next day, she went home and about four hours later, the old car of the Woods pulled into the driveway and the two boys stepped out. Liu had a large parole braclet on his ankle and was hanging his head, a small smile on his face as Jeff began to tell him of the past month. Sierra decided she would go over later, but that plan was ruined as she saw Randy

The large boy and his two friends were climbing up the side of the house to an open window on the second story. They went through the window and disappeared from her sight. Her heart skipped a beat as she waited for what was to happen. But she was horrified when, thirty minutes later, she saw a bright fire ball through the window fly down the stairs and an amublance ten minutes later. She started to cry when she saw Jeff carried out on a gurnie, his entire body bloody. Randy and his goons, climbed hack out the window, unnoticed through all the commotion.

Nearly a week went by before she couldn't take it any more. She went across the street and lightly knocked on the door. Liu answered with a terribly sad look on his face and invited her in. He began to explain that Randy and his buddies snuck in, and caught Jeff in the laundry room. The best that they knew had happend was they covered him in bleach and alcohol and threw a match on him, then left.

Sierra began to cry, knowing that Jeff could never have the same personality after something like that. It was in that moment, that she realized how Important he had become to her. She thanked Liu and left.

Sierra spent the rest of her night crying in her room, wishing nothing more but for Jeff to be okay. And it wasn't until a week later that she got her answer.

The Woods family had agreed to let her come see him as soon as they were allowed to, considering she helped Jeff so much during the ordeal with Liu.

The four of them, Sierra, Liu, and Mr. and Mrs. Woods, walked down the chilly white hallway, a beep coming from every room in the ICU hall. They stepped into room 306 and were saddened by the sight of Jeff wrapped in bandages from head to toe. A doctor came in minutes later and shook hands with everyone in the room. He stepped over to Jeff and spoke quietly. "Okay, Mr. Woods, we're going to remove the bandages now. It may hurt a little bit, but it shouldn't be too bad." The doctor gently took hold of the bandage around his face and began to unravel it. The sight was one to be horrified of, but it didn't matter to Sierra. His leathery white skin and singed black hair meant nothing to her. He was okay, and that was all that she could think about. Her smile was real, the others in the room, however, were not. For the Jeff they knew was based on his appearance and this greatly angered Jeff. But, this anger was dociled at the look of Sierra. She smiled at him and cried out, "oh my god...you are okay. You are okay. You weren't hurt. You are alive..."

The doctor handed Jeff a mirror, stating the nurses would remove the other bandages later. Jeff gently lifted the mirror as best as he could and smiled. He began to laugh as the rest of the people in the room gave worried gazes to each other. "I-I'm beautiful," he would continue to repeat, until finally, he was left by the others to be attended to by the nurses. Yet, little did they know, his release would bring many terrible events to come.

************************************************************************

Yay! New story. So this was the prologue. The rest of this story will be from the POV of Sierra (and maybe more) do you guys like it so far?