Akash Brahmbhatt: Should Your Parents Consider Assisted Living?

It can be a hard topic to tackle, but as your parents grow older, their health is likely to deteriorate. They may need more attention and care as you become more independent. Medical assistance, appointment transportation, shopping trips and social time are all things that your parents need and can't get without your help, especially if they no longer drive. With a full time job, it can be a challenge to attend to those needs.

It may be time to consider an assisted living community. Here are a few questions he recommends to ask yourself to see if this option could be a solution for your family.

· Does your parent have advanced medical needs?

If your parent has a long-term illness or disease, such as diabetes, living in an assisted facility might make treatment easier on everyone in your family. Doctors and nurses are available around the clock for emergencies. Regular appointments are just a walk down the hallway. You won't have to leave work to drive your parent or worry that he or she is at home in distress and unable to get help.

· Does your parent live alone?

The loss of a spouse is always devastating and living alone after the fact can add to the depression. As a member of an assisted community, not only will your parent be able to interact with peers, he or she can participate in fun activities, such as workout classes and Bingo. Specialized groups may also be available, like choir or theater group.

· Is maintaining a home a burden for your parent?

As people grow older, everyday tasks become more challenging. The simple act of standing for ten minutes to wash dishes can be uncomfortable for an elderly person. Bending over to clean up a mess on the kitchen floor may be impossible for someone with back issues. Living in an assisted living facility can alleviate those simple burdens and help your parent live a more comfortable life.