4

She confused me.

Sometimes, she let me in to her thoughts. Other times, all she would do was send me a dirty look and call me nothing more than, "Mr. Malfoy." She was perfected and imperfected. Beautiful and atrocious. Deadly and caring. And to add to all that, she made my head hurt.

The way she spoke, like she had something to prove. The way she held herself, like she couldn't be seen while drooping her shoulders. And the way she was beginning to rely on me. I liked that. I wanted her to trust me, not hate me.

"Mr. Malfoy," Professor Slughorn called, and I shot back to attention. "Are you quite alright, my boy?"

I hated his jolly voice. I hated the way he looked at me. My blue eyes flashed with annoyance, but I managed to keep my emotions in check. "Yes, sir, I'm fine," I answered, though my voice sounded a little off. I looked back down at the potion I was making and added the last ingredient before stirring it. I kept my eyes fixed to my potion, though I could feel Harry Potter's green eyes lurking on me.

I didn't raise my eyes to meet his. Usually, I would simply sneer at him. But today was different.

When the bell rang, I instantly started heading for the door. But a hand stopped me, I turned around to face Potter himself. "What're you playing at, Potter?" I asked, exasperated as I ran a hand through my unruly hair.

"You've been hanging out with Val," he replied. "What have you been saying to her, Malfoy?"

"What are you talking about? We haven't talked since Saturday." I shook his hand off my shoulder and organized some of the things in my satchel. "If you'll excuse me, I need to get to lunch." I turned around to leave, but Harry said, "Wait."

"What could you possibly want?" I asked, annoyed.

"Treat her well, Malfoy," he hissed. "You don't even deserve a girl like her."

"Why's that, Potter? Because I'm a Slytherin?"

"Because you're you," he said simply before brushing past me and walking out of the room. I blinked, trying to regain my suave, but his words had actually got to me. Because I'm me? What's that supposed to mean?

I wasn't evil or anything, and as far as I knew, Potter didn't know anything about me becoming a Death Eater. Confusion seeped through me, but instead of dwelling, I started walking towards the door and went to the Great Hall for lunch. Without saying much, I sat down next to my two mates, Crabbe and Goyle, and ate without saying much. Time to time, I would look to the door, looking through the crowd of people coming in. Maybe she would get here soon?

At last, I saw her.

I wanted to call out to her, but it really made no sense to. As if on cue, our eyes met. She smiled just slightly as she saw me staring, and I couldn't help but smile back. She made her way towards me, but Hermione Granger stopped her and turned her towards Harry and Ron Weasley. I sighed in exasperation as she shot me a sad look.

I got up and sighed before walking out of the Great Hall and back towards the the Slytherin common room.

"Wait!" someone was calling behind me. I glanced behind my back, hoping hat Val had changed her mind. Sadly, it was only Pansy Parkison, one of my friends. Though our friendship had been badly scarred during Year 3- she had asked me out and I had basically laughed in her face before saying "no" -she still managed to stick by me. I suspected she still had feelings for me, but I tried to ignore those, especially now.

"Hi," I said, though my voice sounded like I was annoyed. Most of the time, I didn't mean for that to happen. "Where are you going?" I asked as she started heading the way I was planning to go. She gave me a coy smile.

"The common room," she replied. "You're going there, too, aren't you?" I nodded grudgingly. "I wanted to show you something."

"Something like what?" I asked suspiciously.

Pansy flipped a few strands of dyed black hair behind her shoulder. It fell in a greasy wave down her back. She turned around to give me another coy smile, which drove me absolutely insane. "You'll see when I show you. But you'll have to trust me."

I rolled my eyes. I knew where this was going. "We're not going to the common room, are we?" I asked. "If we aren't, I really don't have time-"

"You'll love it, I promise!" Pansy held out a calloused pinky. I sighed, but joined my own with her's.

We walked through the corridors together, stopping at the common room so that Pansy could get her jacket. I wondered why she would need that, but she only gave me the same annoying smile before grabbing my hand and making me follow her. Her hand was like an iron grip.

At last, we reached our destination, wherever we were. Pansy reached out to touch the wall, and instantly, the door to the Room of Requirement appeared. "What are we doing here?" I asked.

"You'll have to wait and see," she teased.

Pansy opened the door to the room and I followed after her. I was blearily aware that we were still holding hands, and that fact that her fingernails were biting into mine. I managed to wrench myself free, and she gave me a "sorry" look. I nodded to let her know that it was okay, though it wasn't. I didn't really want to go anywhere with her.

I didn't know why the Room of Requirement looked this way. It was less cluttered then what I was used to. Book lined the walls, and there was a table set up with a single candle in the center. I glanced at Pansy as she made her way towards the books. When she saw me staring, she finally answered my questions. "I was hoping that you and I could study for a test that I have to ace."

We both knew that studying wasn't the only thing on her mind.

I pitied her, though. Trying to smile nonchalantly, I answered, "Sure."

We found a few books and studied from them, and I was completely aware of Pansy creeping towards me. I was thinking of scooting away, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I was pretty sure I already had, and really didn't want to do it again.

Finally, Pansy put her book down. "Draco," she said, looking at me. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Yes, Pansy?" I asked without preamble.

"I...well, see...um..." She was stuttering, and I stopped her by putting a hand on her back. She jumped, looking at me in a confused way. I gave her a look, and she spilled everything out. "I've liked you for a really long time, and I just want to know if you like me. I know it's stupid, and I shouldn't like you because we've known each other for such a long time, but I can't help it." She scooted a little closer, and I let her until she was too close.

I leaned away, just a tiny bit. She didn't seem to notice.

She kissed me, had, against the lips. I was startled by the anger within her, and the ferocity in her lips. her eyebrows were creased, as if she was exasperated and had had enough.

"Pansy, no," I said against her lips, backing away form her. "I can't. You know I don't like you that way."

"I thought you would change your thoughts about me," Pansy said, looking sadly down at the floor. I stood awkwardly. "But Draco," she said, looking at me again. I looked down at her. "I do really like you. If you could just...reconsider? Maybe think about it and get back to me?"

It sounded like I was a boss or something, and she was the employee I was about to fire. Reconsider about not liking her? Fat chance.

But instead of telling her that, I simply nodded, then left before she caused herself anymore embarrassment.