2: Salvatore Boarding House

Chapter Two

I was in history class, trying to pay attention to Mr. Tanner, but I was so tired and he was so darn boring. "The Battle of Willow Creek took place at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls. How many casualties resulted in this battle?" He asked. No one raised their hand. "Miss Bennett?"

I turned to look at Bonnie who stopped what she was doing. "Um... A lot? I'm not sure. But, like, a whole lot," she answered and the class chuckled while I simply cracked a small smile.

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Miss Bennett," he insulted. "Mr. Donovan. Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your jock stereotype?"

All eyes turned to Matt in the back of the class. "It's okay, Mr. Tanner. I'm cool with it," Matt replied and I rolled my eyes playfully, still grinning in my seat.

"Kenzie, surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most historical events," Mr. Tanner brought his attention to me.

I shrugged in response and he narrowed his eyes. "Still not speaking, then?" He asked and I nodded. "Elena. How about you?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know," Elena answered.

"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, girls. But the personal excuses ended with summer break," Mr. Tanner said. My jaw clenched and I looked down at my desk, closing my eyes as I fought tears that wanted to well up.

"There were 346 casualties, unless you're counting the local civilans," Stefan spoke up. I opened my eyes slowly to see him staring at me in concern.

"That's correct, Mr...?" Mr. Tanner frowned.

"Salvatore," Stefan informed him, looking back at our teacher.

"Salvatore. Any relation to the original settlers here at Mystic Falls?"

"Distant."

"Well, very good," Mr. Tanner said. "Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle."

"Actually, there were 27, sir," Stefan corrected. My lips twitched and without caring I stared at the side of his face, admiring him completely. "Confederate soldiers fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. And they were wrong. It was a night of great loss. The founder's archives are in Civil Hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts... Mr. Tanner."

I stared at the look of concentration on his face, it was kind of hot. God, he was smart, kind, and adorable with those hazel green eyes and soft smile. Stefan looked to catch me gawking at him. He smiled warmly and gave me a small nod. "Thank you," I mouthed and he nodded once more.

"Anything for you," he mouthed back, sending me a small wink. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks so I looked up and let my hair cover my face, to hide my blush.

***

I was standing around listening to Bonnie and Elena talk for a little bit. "Just admit it, Elena," Bonnie said. "Kenzie agrees with me, right?"

I nodded, agreeing that Stefan was attractive without hesitating. I gawked at him this morning. He was hot and adorable all at the same time. "Okay, so he's a little pretty," Elena chuckled. The current topic was Stefan.

"He has that romance-novel stare," Bonnie gushed. "'Stefan looked deep into her eyes, piercing her very soul.'" Both girls began laughing while I looked away from them. "So where is he?"

"We don't know," Elena muttered. "You tell us. You're the psychic one."

"Right, I forgot," she smiled. "Okay, so give me a sec. Grams says I have to concentrate."