Ch. 4 Sleepover Disaster

"Hello Shadow," Sapphire's father greeted as he opened the door, "please come in. Sapphire's in her room." I gave him a small smile before walking up the stairs to her room. 

I knocked on Sapphire's door hearing her invite me in and walked in to see her playing with various dolls that were scattered throughout her room. It was strange to see her still playing with dolls. We were in our mid teens now and had given up those play things for years; I thought she gave them away to the children down the street.

"Hey Shadow!" She yelled in excitement lunging towards me pulling me into a hug. She was acting very childish for some reason. Since we reached our teenage years she had acted very mature for her age.

"Hey so uh what are we going to do tonight?" I questioned looking at the messy state of her room.

"Well we could watch movies and stuff. By the way when is the tournament?" Her questioned raised suspicion.

"The tournament? Uh it's tomorrow, why do you ask? Shouldn't you know about this already?"

"Well I was just wondering, no one tells me anything. Let's go pick out some movies!"

"I have a bad feeling about this," I thought.

We walked out of her room and her older brother who's nineteen was in the hallway blocking our way. He, along with their older brother Derek looked just like Sapphire but Cole's hair was a bit long going just passed his ears while his brother's was short and black.

"Hey Shadow." He greeted with a smirk towering over us.

"Hi Cole." I replied not liking his close proximity.

"I like your hair," he complimented before

"Uh thanks, well we're going to look for movies to watch bye."

He acted so weird to me, he's kinda cute but creepy giving me a bad vibe. I  was glad I was with a friend the day before the event since I always get nervous thinking about what will happen if my father and Kyle lose. If it were to come to that, I might have to fight whoever defeats them. I don't want to get married at a young age, fifteen was still too young.

We picked out a romance movie so I grabbed my things from her room before heading down to the living room. I was about to set my bag down but stopped when I heard Sapphire's mother calling for me.

"Shadow dear," she called from the kitchen. "Can you help me bring this down to the basement?"

Amy was a sweet women treating me like her own daughter throughout the years. I had never known my own mother since she died when I was young and had always imagined she was like Amy. She emerged from the kitchen holding a couple bags in her arms. Her black hair was tied into a ponytail but her bangs still partly covered her brown eyes. 

She led me through the hallways to the basement which I have actually never seen. The basement door was on the other side of there house which wasn't that big for a family this size. We made turns weaving our way through the hallways towards the basement making me feel even more uneasy than before. When we finally made to the basement she opened the door giving me a view of some chains on the stone wall for your feet and hands. My heart stopped realizing that my feelings and suspicions were right.

"Um why are there chains on the wall? And where's Sapphire?" I queried trying to act dumb to their obvious plan.

Before I knew it, I was grabbed from behind. I turned my head to see Derek on my right and Cole on my left as they forced me down the stairs. I struggled against their grip unsure if I should use my ability on them or play the weak girl they thought I was. I was shoved into the wall hitting my head on the concrete as they shackled my arms and legs.

"That was too easy," Derek chuckled adjusting his glasses as he looked down at me.

"Sapphire was right, she is a weakling," Cole stated joining his brother in laughter.

"Why are you kidnapping me?" I exclaimed pulling at the chains.

"Just in case we lose the battle against your family; you're our secret weapon. Your father will give up his position if his precious daughter was in danger."

"You won't get away with it. My father is powerful as well as my brother."

"We've seen both your brother and father fight and we're better. Even Sapphire is stronger than them." Cole bragged flicking a few strands of hair out of his face as he bent down to my level.

"Hmph, just wait until tomorrow. You'll be sorry." I threatened staring into his blue eyes showing no fear. 

"I doubt that, but for now you'll be our prisoner. Tomorrow, Sapphire will take you to the tournament but you'll be handcuffed so you won't escape. She'll have a knife with her so that if your father or brother try to save you then you'll be dead." Derek sneered giving me a wicked smile as he looked over at his younger brother. 

"Now, here's your bag and we'll be going. Have a nice day down here. After we win according to your village's rules you'll be my bride." Cole said sweetly leaning in to give me a peck on the cheek. "You are beautiful and I can't wait to have you as mine."

Published December 4, 2011

Edited March 11, 2020