Locker Love

The English Teacher - Movie Contest

Wattpad has challenged its authors to write a comedy screenplay (1500 words or less) about high school romance. Hey, I love a challenge! And if I can't get one funny story out of my high school love life then what did I waste all those teenage years for? Wish me luck! (And a few votes and favourable comments wouldn't hurt either!)

xox

Lori

Locker Love (Screenplay Version)

By Lori Ellis

INT. HIGH SCHOOL HALLWAY - NIGHT.

Tight close-up shot focusing on MICHAEL, a student, leaning against a LOCKER. The lighting is dim, there is no one around.

MICHAEL (V.O.) Friday before a long weekend, and it's almost 7:30. It's already dark outside. Everyone else left hours ago. Heck, most of the guys I know ditched class and left at noon. So what am I still doing at school?

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY.

Students in desks taking a test. TEACHER walking around, looking over shoulders. Pan and zoom to MICHAEL, erasing.

MICHAEL (V.O.) Believe me, I never had any intention to stay here any longer than necessary. I had a history test last period, and if you knew me you'd realize that I need every mark I can get. At least in history anyway, so ditching was not an option.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY.

OLDER MALE TEACHER talking sternly to MICHAEL in the hall. Time passes, fewer and fewer students remain.

MICHAEL (V.O.) Then I got caught running in the halls, which of course resulted in a half hour lecture from Mr. Hampton. Honestly, what's wrong with that guy? Doesn't he have some other place to be? What a laugh, like I might trip and hurt myself! Maybe he might fall and break a hip, but he's like forty or something.

INT. EMPTY HALLWAY - DAY.

MICHAEL walking in empty hallway. FOUR JOCKS, good-looking athletic types come around corner, stop him. The obvious leader puts an arm around MICHAEL and they march him in the opposite direction.

MICHAEL (V.O.) So I'm finally free. The halls are empty and I'm walking to my locker when who do I come across but Tom Willard and his bunch of lowlife jock friends. Maybe you don't know these guys, but you know the type. Adored by teachers. Fawned over at awards ceremonies. Their mere appearance at a pep rally is expected to generate spontaneous applause. Your parents mention them at least once a week, like, "Why can't you be more like Tom Willard?" And yet every kid in school sees through all that and recognizes every one of these guys as a potential serial killer.

INT. OUTSIDE CLASSROOM DOOR - DAY.

We see the FOUR JOCKS enter a classroom and close the door behind them, leaving MICHAEL in the hallway as a nervous lookout. They return with papers which they stuff in MICHAEL's jacket, pushing him out of frame.

MICHAEL (V.O.) So now whatever they're up to, I'm right in the middle of it. Hey, I usually don't want anything to do with these guys. They're not my kind of people, and I'm not theirs. But in circumstances like this, it can be very difficult to say no to them. So long story short, here it is several hours later, they're gone, and I still haven't quite made it to my own locker.

INT. HALLWAY - NIGHT.

Tight shot of MICHAEL once again leaning against locker, reading a book.