I Felt it

When I was fourteen, I had a best friend named Boone Hicks. He was real sweet looking, with long blonde hair, Irish green eyes, and an elvish face. He was a little on the short side, only about five feet tall, and we hung out mostly indoors because he was so fair skinned. His parents didn't like him too much, though, and he spent most of his time at my house, but I never minded it.

It was when his aunt announced the gender of her unborn baby that things started to get weird. "When the doctor told me, I was so excited," His aunt Caroline said, rubbing her belly affectionately. "I just knew it was going to be a girl." We were all at Boone's house, sitting in the family room; he had invited me over to meet his aunt. Boone just kind of stared at her with his piercing green eyes and a blank expression.

"No, it's going to be a boy." He said, still giving Caroline that heavy stare. She gave him a questioning look.

"But the doctors said it was a girl."

"I guess there was a mistake," he said, his expression never changing. "It's going to be a boy."

His aunt stared back at him with a worried look. "Are you feeling okay, Boone? Why are you saying these things?"

"I felt it." He said simply, shifting his eyes to the floor. His mother threw the book she had been reading earlier at him, hitting him in the chest. It fell to the floor, but he didn't even look at it.

"Boone, hush up, you idiot! Quit trying to scare your aunt!"

"Hang on, Julie," his aunt said, holding a hand up. "What else did you, uh... "Feel" about the baby?"

"Well, it's a boy," he said, causing his mother to roll her eyes. "a-and it's going to be born a month early, January third at eleven thirty A.M to be exact." He went into another stare, eyes back on his aunt. "You were thinking about naming your girl Addison, but you want to name your boy Aiden now." His aunt went wide eyed.

"H-how did you know that?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows at him. "I haven't told anyone about that!"

"I felt it."

"No!" She yelled, grabbing his shoulders. "How did you know that?"

"I told you, I felt it-"

"Quit saying that, you freak!"

"Hey!" I said, interfering the fit that she was about to throw. "It was probably just a coincidence that he guessed his name, I mean, how many choices are there, really? You said you wanted it's name to start with A, right?" I asked, recalling something Boone had told me a couple weeks earlier. "Besides, you haven't even figured out if he was right about the birthdate or gender. Everyone just needs to calm down."

Caroline looked at me for moment, and I honestly thought she was about to slap me. She just stood up. "I'm leaving." And she did just that.

"Boone, you screw up! Get out!" Mrs. Hicks yelled, shoving Boone and me out the front door. I decided to let Boone sleep over at my house that night.

"Dude, why'd you do that?" I asked him as we walked down the road, the sun setting in the distance. "I think that was a little much."

"But Viktor," he said quietly, sounding a little like he was about to cry. "I felt it."

I felt shivers rack my spine at that moment, and I slept as far away as I could from Boone that night. A few months later, his aunt gave birth to a baby boy, one month early, on January third at eleven A.M, and she named him Aiden. I don't think he ever saw his aunt Caroline again.

Months passed and we soon forgot about the scare Boone had given his aunt. We went on with our normal lives, hung out and played video games like old times. That was, until my accident.