Chapter Eight: Problem Child

[May 28th, 1999]

[May 28th, 1999]

Justin's P.O.V

"...It was all a dream
I used to read Word Up magazine
Salt'n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine
Hangin' pictures on my wall
Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl
I let my tape rock 'til my tape pop
Smokin' weed and bamboo, sippin' on private stock
Way back, when I had the red and black lumberjack..."

I was jamming to my man Biggie Smalls and this has got to be one of my favorite jams from him. As much as rap is still rap, without Biggie and Tupac, it will never be the same. These were the major game changers.

"You know very well who you are
Don't let em hold you down, reach for the stars
You had a goal, but not that many
'cause you're the only one I'll give you good and plenty," I continued to sing, vacuuming the floor as my hips grooved along. I was getting every single piece of trash off the carpet that I made.

"Never thought it could happen, this rappin' stuff
I was too used to packin' gats and-"

My door swung open and I jumped, turning the vacuum cleaner off. I twirled around and saw Aaliyah laughing by the doorway. I was utterly stunned by her presence. Stunned wasn't even the word, embarrassed rather.

She giggled so much that she couldn't even release a vowel or consonant. My cheeks flushed pure redness.

"What..in the hell..was that?" Aaliyah questioned, pausing between laughs.

"I was just grooving to my boy Biggie. That's all," I affirmed.

Liyah joked, "That and making love to the vacuum cleaner." She bursted laughter once more, closing the door and locking it from behind her. I didn't say a word and let her have her moment. I ran my fingertips through my hair, wishing Li would just stop already.

"Okay I'm sorry, alright?"

She sat on the arm of the chair. "You needa start making sure your front door is locked, curly."

I briefly nodded before switching the stereo off. Suddenly, I heard a phone rang off. I realized it was Aaliyah's phone and she placed me on hold even though I wasn't even talking.

"..Well Shad I don't want to miss Kidada's Birthday party back in Detroit...so you basically don't have no one else to watch my niece while you're out on this business trip in Orlando....I-I get that and you know what? I'll stay put and try to figure out how I can make it up to Kidada later..alright love you...bye." Liyah leaned back against the couch and rubbed her face angrily.

Butting in, I sat down beside her, waiting for her to explain.

"I have to babysit Jaz because my brother can't find anyone else to take her in custody. Dang man I really haven't seen my best friend inna minute and now Ima miss her party too? Guess I just have to weigh it out ," she admitted, releasing one hand away from her face.