Chapter Forty Four

Start from the beginning

I turned around and sat down on the couch with a plop, knowing fully well she was right.

Then, the thought of my phone came to mind. Even after two weeks, I still haven't built up the courage to go and get it. I didn't even want to see his face. Maybe today would be the day that I went to see him.

It's been a while, hasn't it? I have never gone this long since we first met without talking to him.

I needed my phone... and the only way to get it was if I went to Jake's house myself. I wasn't going to send one of my friends because that would just show that I was a coward.

"I'll be back," I said to them, standing up again. I made my decision.

"Where are you going now? To see Brent?" Danielle scrunched up her nose as she said Brent's name.

"No, to go see Jake... to get my phone back... only for my phone." I spun on my heel and walked toward the door.

~*~

I stood on the doorstep of Jake's house. I could feel my hands shaking at my sides. What am I going to say? Uh... I didn't think this through. You only want your phone, that's all.

I raised a shaky hand to the door and knocked three times. The door creaked open, revealing a pretty, tall woman. This was Jake's mom. I've met her only one time before. I still haven't met his dad.

His mom had dark brown hair, blue eyes, and a slim body. She was a petite lady who always dressed properly and classy. I remembered her name as Aria. "Hello, Alex. I didn't expect you. Jake didn't mention anything about you coming today." She smiled.

So then, Jake never told her about the breakup? "He didn't expect me either," I laughed nervously, "I just kind of came. I need to talk to him... is he home?"

"Yes. He's up in his room. You can go up if you want to. Come in, sweetie."

I didn't really want to go upstairs into his bedroom. I was kind of hoping that he could just come out here. Reluctantly, I forced a smile and nodded. I vaguely remembered where his room was, but I managed to get there. I had only been here once before.

I rapped on his door. A few seconds passed. My heartbeat picked up its pace, hearing his footfalls as he neared the door. Holding my breath, I watched as the doorknob twisted counterclockwise. The door opened.

He stood there, basically the same as I'd last seen him. Blue and back pajama pants, thin, wrinkled grey t-shirt, and a pair of grey socks was what he was wearing. His eyes widened for a fraction of a second before he composed himself. His eyes were dull. They weren't the bright green that I was used to, but I think I saw them get lighter by just a tad bit when he looked at me... It may have just been my imagination. So many emotions swarmed through them, and I knew my eyes held the same expression.

Was I really over him? I questioned myself. I didn't know the answer to it. No, I knew it, I was just afraid to admit it to myself.

"Alex?" His brows were furrowed in question.

"Yeah, it's me..." I cleared my throat and looked down at the carpet. Was coming here a bad mistake? It seemed like it. I didn't know what to say. How about, can I have my phone back?

The words just weren't coming out of my mouth. It's like they were permanently lodged at the back of my throat. I knew I should've planned this beforehand. I looked up, taking my gaze off of the floor, and focused on him.