Chapter 3 | The Mysterious Voices

That was me. The boy was me, was I dead?

          You're not dead. Yet. Someone chuckled, a low deep gravely voice.

          Stop it! Why are you so evil? A softer tone spoke to me, from where I do not know.

          I gulped and clenched a fist, rubbing it against my forehead. Who are you?  I asked, turning around in a full circle to try and see if anybody was there, but there was nobody in the room except me, and my body.

          When there was not reply, I gulped, tears my eyes water up and my chest beginning to heave. W-who are you?  I asked again at the nothing, stuttering from the fear pumping through my veins.

          We are you, the softer voice said.

          I ignored this reply and slipped out of the open door of the room and into the hallway. The hallway was clustered with people. Doctors and patients, grievers and fighters all stumbled, running thru the hallway at a frantic and lost pace.

          I stumbled, turning around in a full circle. Where was I?  tears pin pricked my eyes. Where am I?  I repeated.

          You're in the hospital dearie, the soft voice calmly spoke.

          Where is my family?  I asked in a nervous tone at the invisible voices.

          Dead, the low voice chuckled.

          Hush! the soft voice snapped, Check the reception, check the files.

           Then I started to run. At top speed, my green sweater trailing behind me, I ran for my life towards whenever I could go. I slipped past the people, the signs in the occupied hallways telling me where to go. I had been here once before, Ike had gotten appendicitis. All I knew is that the glass walls on one side of the hallway told me I was in the ICU.

           You're never going to make it, the low voice admitted.

          Shut up!  I yelled back in an anxious reply.