Chapter 1

Moon Festival

Troye Sivan never did forget the green-eyed boy.

But it wasn't until he was twenty years old, did he meet him again.

Although that part comes later.

"Troye! Catch!" A blonde-haired boy tossed him a jeweled necklace and Troye caught it with one hand, keeping his pace up.

"Stop! Stop there!" But Troye was long gone, before they, as in Royal Guards, even had a chance at stopping him.

"Did-you-get-it-Troye?" The same blonde haired boy who had thrown him the necklace panted for breath as the two slowed to a stop.

"Yeah-I-got-it." Said the brown haired boy, in a similar situation to the blonde. The two boys stood there, listening for the sound of hooves (not at all trying to catch their loss of breath).

When they heard none, they looked at the necklace. The sun glinted off of the emeralds and silver, a clear sign that the necklace definitely belonged to royalty.

"Sage would've loved this." Tyler, the blonde haired boy, looked at the tough brunette next to him and saw, instead, a young boy close to tears. Tyler put an arm around his friend and gave him a one-sided hug.

"Come on, Troye. Let's get home."

'Home' happened to be a small house in the village, where the two boys lived with two retired magicians.

"Dan? Phil?" Tyler and Troye called as they came into the small hut.

"In here." An accented voice came from the kitchen. The two boys walked in with the voices and saw Dan and Phil sitting in two chairs, sipping tea. The elders smiled at the two boys and gestured for them to sit.

"Hello, boys," Dan said in his articulate accent. "How are you today?"

"We're alright, Dan. How are you today?" Troye asked worriedly. Several years ago, after the guards had punished him, Dan had almost been killed. Both for being accused of trying to kidnap the prince and for witchcraft, which had been illegal ever since that day.

Ever since Dan has been in and out of healing. Poor lungs and poorly cared for broken ribs made the man prone to illness and was often not well enough to get out of bed. He also suffered from a limp in his left leg.

"I'm fine today, boys. Just a bit tired, that's all." Dan said and Troye watched as Phil reached over to grab Dan's hand. Dan smiled at Phil and kissed him on the cheek.

That was also illegal.

Basically, it was a house of stealing and gay boys.

"Troye!" Tyler called. Troye snapped back to reality. Dan and Phil were getting up to leave and Tyler was shaking his arm. "Are you okay?" Tyler asked worryingly. Troye was going to respond but was interrupted by yelling.

"What's going on out there?" Dan wondered aloud.

He didn't have to wait long to find out.

Two royal guards, one with brown hair with an iridescent glow to it and the taller with dark brown hair, burst in, not even bothering to knock on the door. Dan and Phil quickly let go of the other's hand.

"Have any of you seen Prince Connor Franta?" A small voice asked. The small group met eyes, then looked back at the two guards, of whom seemed stressed.

"No, we're sorry," Phil said. The two guards met eyes and one sighed.

"Thank you very much. Come on, Joey, let's go see if he's next door." The taller one said.

Iridescent sighed but followed the tall one out the door.

Troye looked over at Tyler with a questioning glance.

"What was that about?" Tyler asked.

"I have no idea. But I'm going to find out." Troye said and with those words, he ran out into the streets.

The two royal guards from earlier stood in front of a large group, their heads down.

"What do you mean you lost him!" One yelled and iridescent winced. Dark hair grabbed his arm and grimaced.

" Alfie, I swear it was an accident. We were watching him and he just kind of....disappeared."

"He just disappeared? Daniel, I like you, but you're really pushing it right now." Alfie put his head in his hands.

"Alfie, he is twenty-three. Maybe he's alright on his own?" Daniel suggested. Alfie sighed.

"While I may agree with you, Preda, that doesn't mean the king and queen do. Now, go find the prince before they find out." Alfie made a shooing motion with his hand and the two guards, Joey, and Daniel walked away, happy to escape with their lives.

Troye walked away with the mystery in his head. Was the prince missing? Why? Was he kidnapped? Maybe. Possible. The more Troye thought about it, however, the more unlikely it seemed. He didn't know why, but for some reason, he knew that wasn't what happened. However unlucky the boy might be, he wouldn't find himself kidnapped.

If only Troye knew.

Troye was walking back towards his house when a hand hit his mouth. Troye's hand flew up and tugged at the arm. However the grip was tight and Troye was shoved into an alley between two homes.

"Did you get it?" The voice snarled. Troye rolled his eyes, before pulling to necklace he had stolen earlier out of his pocket.

"Here. I got it." Troye said and the shadowed man grinned. He snatched it greedily from Troye's hands.

"Good job. You're one step closer to getting your family back." The shadowed man said and Troye nearly screamed.

"You said this was my last job!" Troye yelled and the shadowed man slapped him. Troye tried to fight back, but this only led to him getting slapped harder. The shadow kicked him in the ribs, then put a clammy hand around his throat. With superhuman strength, the shadow lifted Troye up and slammed him into the wall.

"You do not talk back to me. At all. You got it?" The shadow snarled and Troye gulped. The shadow once again slammed the skinny boy into the wall.

"Answer me!" The voice growled and Troye coughed, trying to find his voice when he could barely find air.

"Got....it." Troye let out in a breathy tone and the shadow man dropped him to the ground.

"Now, for your next assignment." The shadow man grinned pearly white teeth at Troye and Troye grimaced. "Get up." The shadow man said.

Troye struggled to push himself up. Once he was finally up, the shadow man shoved a portrait with some writing into his face.

"What's this?" Troye asked.

"Your next mission." Shadow man answered.

"And that is?"

"Kill Prince Connor Franta."