Chapter 2

10 years later

 ‘Kara, do you not understand what im trying to get at here?’ Mr Winters, the principle questioned, receiving just a shrug as an answer. ‘You’ve been in my office more times than I can count recently and I think your mum is on her last tether with you! You’ve been caught smoking and drinking on school premises, skipping lessons, causing fights, bullying, answering back at teachers… It’s as if you want to get kicked out of school! Im fed up of giving you second chances’. Kara just sat quietly waiting for his rant to finish. She glanced at her mum sitting next to her and cringed at the thought of how much she was hurting her with her actions. She knew she was a mess at the moment but she had recently really begun to miss her mum and her sister and just wished she could see them again, it had been 10 years after all. She knew her mam was lonely and missed them too and she really regretted hurting her mam with her actions really but she just wished she could find a way of getting herself and her mam back to England.

 Kara continued to look around the room, glancing from side to side. ‘Kara, I just wish I could get into your head sometimes’ Cheryl stated. ‘No you don’t, youd be scared of what you found out’ Kara replied, pulling a face. Cheryl sighed and took a deep breath as she tried to think of what to say. She couldn’t work out what to say to make it better at all this time. She was confused as to be angry or worried at her daughter’s recent behaviour.

After returning home, Kara waited for her mam to be asleep before stealing some vodka and creeping out the front door. She ran until she got to Taylors house. Taylor had become Kara’s best friend the week that Kara had left for America and they had been extremely close, almost like sisters ever since. Taylor knew everything about Kara and vice versa. Kara knew Taylor would be able to offer advice on the current situation. She climbed into the treehouse round the back and started throwing stones at Taylors window. Finally Taylor poked her head out. ‘Whats up’ Taylor asked. ‘I need to get back to England’ Kara replied. Taylor squinted in the darkness and raised her eyes. ‘Whats the plan’ She replied. ‘The idea is that if I run away to England, mam will be forced to follow and she will have to see or atleast contact mum again and you know what they say? It will be love at first sight, just like before!’. Taylor sighed, ‘How are we going to afford that?’, Kara giggled and smirked slightly to show Taylor that there was more to her plan. ‘Well… I have loads of savings that mum has been transferring to my account since I was 5. Im going to use it all to pay for a flight to England, Mam won’t have any idea til I get there’ Kara winked! Taylor giggled, ‘You really do think of everything’ she replied.

After a while of silence, Taylor joined her best friend in the treehouse and they proceeded to drink vodka from the bottle, snort a bit of cocaine that Taylor had managed to get from her dealer earlier that day and have a laugh about anything. This is what their nights mostly consisted of most of the time and they liked it that way. Taylor held onto Kara’s hand and played with her fingers gently. ‘I’ll miss you, you know’ Taylor whispered so quietly that she wasn’t sure whether Kara would hear or not. ‘I know. I’ll miss you too’ Kara whispered back after a few moments of silence