Chapter 13

Suzanne Collins owns the characters not me.

Chapter 13

Effie hasn't even came to see us. I haven't seen her since the Reaping. "How about your not the young star-crossed lovers. Your going into an arena as the youngest you have to seem older or you'll be considered weak. Your married. You could say that your pregnant." Haymitch says slowly.

It'll be public if I come back home. But I'm determined I wont be. I sigh. On the other hand, it could help Peeta and me with sponsors. Anything we need.

"Fine I'll lie." I say. I look over at Peeta. "Sure." he says.

"Alright it'll make you seem more deadly. Less childish innocence. Which I doubt your innocent. It's a miracle your not actually pregnant." Haymitch says laughing. Peeta and I laugh too playing the cameras. Oh the way we play cameras.

"Dinner is ready." Eiffe say. "Hello Effie!" I shout getting up to hug her. This early for dinner? Not that I'm complaining. She hugs me like she's my grandmother r something.

"Are you really married Katniss?" she asks.

"Yes. Six months. We did the marriage custom of District 12." I say sadly. "I hope your happy. Lets go." She says stiffly.

The meals subdued. So subdued in fact, that there are long periods if silence relieved only by the removal of old dishes and presentations of new ones. A cold soup of puréed vegetables. Fish cakes with creamy lime paste. Those little birds filled with orange sauce, with wild rice and watercress. Chocolate custard dotted with cherries.

Peeta and Effie make occasional attempts at conversation. All that quickly die out. I notice him constantly staring at me. Maybe wishing me to join the conversation? Maybe he's just thinking about everything that's going on with us personally. I honestly don't know.

"I love your new hair Effie," Peeta says.

"Thank you. I had it especially done to match Katniss's pin. I was thinking we might get you a golden ankle band and maybe find Haymitch a gold bracelet or something so we can all seem like a team," says Effie.

Evidently, Effie doesn't know that my mockingjay pin is now a symbol used by the rebels. In District 8 at least. The people in the Capitol find it a symbol of an especially exciting Hunger Games.

"I think that's a great idea," says Peeta. "How about it Haymitch?"

"Yeah, whatever," says Haymitch. He hasn't been drinking since Peeta told him off. He sure seems to wish he was though. Effie had them take out her wine after seeing how much of an effort he was making. He looks miserable though. If he were a tribute, he would have owed Peeta nothing and could be as drunk as he liked. Now it's going to take all he's got to keep Peeta alive in an arena full of his old friends, and he'll probably fail.

"Maybe we could get you a wig, too," I say in attempt at lightness. He just shoots me a look that says to leave him alone, and we all eat our custard in silence.

"Shall we watch the reapings?" Says Effie, dabbing at the corners of her mouth with a white linen napkin. Peeta goes off to retrieve his notebook on the remaining living victors, and we gather in the compartment with the television to see who our competition will be in the arena. We are all in place when the anthem begins there is the annual recap of the reaping ceremonies in the twelve districts.

In the history of the Games, there have been only seventy-five victors. Fifty-nine are alive today. I can't believe that only a few of people got to live! I mean if Prim went in there she would have been just another death! Other people have lost their children or a Prim to them! All of a sudden the idea is just so horrifying that I can't bare it! The intriguing thing though is that I'm going to them with child. After what they have caused. I don't know why this all of a sudden makes me furious! Maybe it's because I'm pregnant. Maybe it's I finally realized all I have to lose.