Chapter-7: Dealing with the Drug-Addict

Start from the beginning

"Manik, tum kya kar rahe ho? Tum pagal ho gaye ho kya?" I went close to him and tried to stop him.

"Nandini, leave me." He tried to push me away with his elbow while he slit his wrist again. There were 3 deep cuts made with a broken beer bottle and he was drunk.

"Tumhari problem kya hai? Why are you doing this to yourself? Are you mad, like seriously?" I took my handkerchief and tried tying his wrist which was bleeding. I gasped at the pool of blood below his hand. He jerked my hand.

"Don't touch me. You have no idea how much I loved her." He came close to me. "When I kissed you today, you reminded me of her. When I brought you home today, it reminded me of our time together." He held me by my shoulders and pulled me closer to him.

"What else could I do? Do you know the pain of losing someone you love?" He let me go and fell to the floor. I started crying too, kneeling down in front of him.

"Manik, I know. Even my husband is dead." His blood-shot eyes shot up. I started tying my handkerchief around his wrist. He trembled, probably because of the blood loss.

"Par main kuch nahi kar sakti. You know why? Because I have a baby to support. I can't take drugs, I can't drink, I can't do anything about it." I cried helplessly. He sat on his knees and hugged me tightly. He kissed my head while I just rested my head on his chest and cried.

"You are an angel, do you know that?" I cried on his shoulder and he held me closer to him. His words affected me. He stood up as I stood up, and cupped my cheeks.

"How are you alive, Nandini?"

"Manik, it's only for him that I'm alive." I touched my tummy.

"Just because you lost your love, tum khud ko hurt karte ho, par what's the use? Can you go back in time and reverse what happened, Manik?" He thought for a while.

"You have to live this moment." He thought for a while and cupped my cheeks again.

"You're right. I need to live this moment." He caressed my cheeks gently with his thumb, wiping away my tears.

"Can I kiss you, Nandini?" He asked me in a soft tone. Wow! When he was sober, he grabbed me and kissed me in public and when he was drunk and we were alone, he was asking my permission! I mentally slapped him for being such a jerk. I just nodded. I craved for love. I needed it just as much as he did. He placed his lips on mine gently and kissed me slowly and delicately. I just stood there, like a statue, unable to move and unable to act. There was something different about him. The kiss was pure bliss. I didn't know that guy could be so gentle. He didn't seem to be who I thought he was. He broke the kiss and rested his forehead on mine.

I was melting. I was falling for him. He had the power to twist any girl around his fingers. Was it too early? It's not love, Nandu. My subconscious reminded me. I felt weak. I opened my eyes and moved a little. His eyes shot up.

"Where are you going?" He held my hand.

"Manik, I have to go. It's late."

"Stay na Nandini?" I couldn't refuse but I had to, for my sake.

"Sorry Manik, I have to go. Good night. Take care of yourself." I walked to the door. I turned back at him for one last time before leaving his room.

"Okay fine. Bye. Good night. Take good care of yourself." I smiled and walked out with tears in my eyes.

I walked out of the mansion and shut the door behind me. It was so nice breathing fresh air. Being around Manik and acting normal was close to impossible. I took a deep breath. I walked slowly back to Cabir's house, which wasn't even 200 metres away. I was lost in my thoughts and before I even realised, I reached home. The door was open. I walked inside. I heard some voices.

"Guys, I think it's time we tell him." Mukti suggested. I stopped and hid behind a wall.

"Mukti, have you lost it? We aren't supposed to reveal anything. Let things be. He won't be able to take it." Cabir almost shouted.

"Yeah, but he should know na? It's related to him aur mujhe nahi lagta ki yeh sahi hai." Navya said. I had no clue about what they were saying. I decided to intrude.

"Hello guys. Who are you talking about?" They all started stammering and changing the topic.

"Nothing you should worry about. Chalo. Let's have dinner." They changed the topic and I didn't force them much to tell me. It could be something personal. Was it about Manik? Were they talking about him? God! Nandu, get a grip of yourself.

---------
(I need some feedback and some response now. Since it's Diwali vacation, I'm gonna be writing and depending on your response, I will be publishing the parts. Good response=Faster updates. Vote and comment if I deserve it. Thanks. Happy Diwali again.)