Jocelyn's River: Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

Unlike my quiet and observant nature, Bryson was the complete opposite of me.  He was the rebellious child.  He went against our father’s rules.  He was twenty when his wife was pregnant with Kenny.  They were forced to marry after Michelle revealed her pregnancy.

            I try not to remember that day when the heartbreaking news was brought to us.  Seeing the looks on my parent’s faces was the worst and hearing Bryson and “dead” in the same sentence was heart wrenching.  Bryson and my father had just got into an argument earlier that day.  I pushed the thoughts away from my mind. 

            Even though the doctor urged me to stay off my feet, Mama wanted me to prepare dinner which was fine, considering that I was used to doing it on most week days.  I placed a bookmark in my book, got up and limped to the kitchen to get started.  Mama came home in the next hour and helped me out.  I was taking the macaroni out of the oven when the doorbell rang. 

            “Don’t you move, I’ll get it,” Mama said to me as I put the pan on the counter.

            “Okay,” I responded while observing the macaroni and cheese that I made.

            “Jocelyn, honey,” I heard mama calling for me.

            “Yes, I’m coming!”

            I walked out of the kitchen and towards the front door while untying my apron. 

            “Someone is here to see you,” she said and I went to stand beside her.

            River stood in the doorway holding red tulips in his right hand and he was wearing black slacks, a white button down shirt with a black tie around his neck, and shiny black shoes.  His hair was tidy and combed back into that same style and his face was smooth and shaven.  He stood there with a broad smile on his mouth, showing the crow’s feet.

            “Hey, Jocelyn,” he said and his voice sent shivers all over me.  “I bought these for you.”

            He handed me the flowers and I took them from him.  I was so stunned that I stood immobile with my mouth open.  River chuckled and I knew it was because of the expression on my face.

            “Th-thank you,” I stuttered as I put the flowers up to my nose and smelled their scent.  “They’re beautiful.”

            “So are you,” he replied and he stared at me as if I were the only being in the world that mattered.  Then, his eyes traveled down to my secured ankle and he frowned.

            “You may come in if you’d like, River,” Mama suggested.

            “Thanks,” he said, releasing me from his stare.  He stepped into the house with his hands in his pockets.  His eyes wondered around.  “Hm-m-m, it smells good in here.”

            “Oh!  Jocelyn cooked dinner.  Would you like to stay for dinner, River?”

            River turned around to us and then his eyes locked with mine once again.  He half grinned and said, “Jocelyn cooked dinner, huh?  Well, in that case, I’m gonna have to stay.”

            Mama laughed.  “You’re welcome to stay.  My husband will be home later.  He advises us not to wait for him to get home to eat.  Jocelyn, may I speak with you in the kitchen for a minute?”

            “Sure,” I said.

            She set her attention to River and said, “You can just sit down and make yourself at home.”