Chapter Twelve: David's Past

Start from the beginning

"And why did you do that?" he asks.

"Because they would have used it to kill me and then Tentatio, you know him as Satan, would have won and taken over the world," I exaggerate slightly to make my point; God wouldn't let that really happen.

"So, now they're after my family?"

I nod. "And I'm the only one who can stop him."

"But, if you destroyed this thing, why is he still after my family?"

"Because I pissed him off by destroying the orb and saving both Grace and Fiona. He'd said I would have to choose, but I knew I could save them both."

"So, this is your fault?" he accuses.

It's my turn for my mouth to open wordlessly. He's right, but it's not like I asked for this. "If you wanna point fingers, then, yes, it's my fault. But would you really want me to choose between the two of them if I knew I could save them both? Would you really want me to let Fiona die?"

Mr. Smith steps up to me as if he's going to hit me. I don't have blame him, but I also know it won't do much. He may outweigh me, but I have powers he doesn't understand. I won't use them to hurt him, but I will allow the river stone to heal me.

He raises his fist angrily but stops himself from letting it fly. "If anything happens to my family, I will hold you personally responsible."

"So will I," I say and walk past him; I put enough responsibility on myself, I don't need him adding to it.

"Everything alright?" Jason asks as I enter the apartment again.

"Yeah, just great," I say darkly and go to my room. I grab a fresh set of clothes and then go and take shower. I start the water to let it heat up as I get undressed. Staring at myself in the mirror for a couple minutes, I feel like a contradiction. My eyes connect with their counterparts in the mirror, as if trying to read each other simultaneously. On the surface, I look like a normal fourteen year old kid. My hair is a little longer than a year ago since I hardly ever let Miss O cut it.

I laugh to myself, remembering a time Miss O had to pin me down to try and cut my hair. She'd managed to cut a couple strands, taking off about four inches of hair. I was so angry, but all she did was laugh and say that I had to get the rest of it cut or else I'd look ridiculous. I gave in and she took me to get my hair cut. That was shortly after I'd come back from the Adlers. So, it's been about eight months since then and now she isn't here to force a haircut on me. That's when the tears come.

My emotions overtake me as I enter the shower. They hit so hard that I can barely stand. I sit down in the bottom of the tub and let the hot water wash over me as I cry uncontrollably. Someone knocks on the door, but I don't answer. I can hear my father outside trying to see if I'm okay. But he doesn't try too hard to get in. I know that Fiona has to know what I'm thinking and feeling, so she must have stopped him from kicking the door in.

Don't worry, no one will bother you, Eli. Not even me, Fiona says and, once again, I can feel her smile; it's a wonderful comfort but it's not enough to ease the sorrow I'm feeling right now and she knows that.

Thanks. I'll be out soon, I tell her and start to stand up.

Eli, take your time. Don't ignore your emotions. Deal with them. It's okay to be upset like this over Miss O. She was your mom for the past eight months.

Thanks, I say again. If I could hug you right now, I would.

Thinking of the hug is good enough, she says with her cute giggle.

I can't help but smile. Fiona blocks her connection to my mind so she won't be invading my privacy this time. She knows there will be other moments to share the same grief together, but I need this time to myself.