Enough with the rabbits

We arrived at our house an hour after we left the house. Lucky for us they had enough cages at the first store we went too. I was dreading having to drive to more stores but they had ten cages with all the accessories needed. We had basically cleaned them out of rabbit supplies also but we did need all of the extra stuff. Each child had sat with a cage on their laps and a boxed cage between them. It was a very tight space and I wasn't looking forward to having to build all the cages either but hopefully we could work something out.

We unpacked the car which took nearly 20 minutes. Y it self when I looked at the time and realized no one had done their homework and we hadn't eaten dinner and it was nearly the kids bedtime. They were excited from both the day before and all the new furry friends. I told the kids to go in and do their homework. Jeremy stood in the yard looking at all the cages.

"So I did warn you that life around us wouldn't be easy didn't i?" I said as I walked around him to start opening boxes. The cages themselves were extremely easy to build it only involved bending a few pieces around when the cage pops open it was putting the frame on that took a few minutes.

"I still enjoy every second of this."he replied.

"Well good. Now let's get to work." I said as I ripped off the top of the first box." The cages are easy to build but you want to put the frame on before to pop the wire in to place. It isn't hard between the both of us we should have this done in 15 to 20 minutes."

"I doubt that." He said.

"Wanna bet?", I replied and started to show him how to do it. "I can put three of them together in less them 15 minutes. It really isn't hard at all."

We worked in silence and we completed each cage we stacked them up three high. I was happy when it was finished finally. So we carried them off to the rabbit house and began rearranging the existing cages so we could fit the ten cages in there. It was a tight squeeze but everyone would have plenty of room to breathe when we got them in. I began the process of getting the wood shaving in the drop pans along with my secret of lining them with cat litter to help with the smell. I began throwing the hay in the cages as well and soon Jeremy began to help also grabbing the food containers and water bottles which Sarina had come out to grab and fill as she was done with her homework. I had told her to order a pizza as it was getting late.

Placing the rabbits in each cage was a fun process that involved the animal begin difficult in almost every way. None of them wanted to come out of their cages willingly and required having to gently pull them out. The sheer size of some of them despite being kept in small cages with many other animals was unbelievable. However a few needed some extra weight to be put on.

Jeremy was amazed at the animals and the way they interacted with me almost grateful to be saved and they knew they would be loved. I would get the animal out check again for gender and then just hold each animal for a minute some where scared and just needed soothing and some just wanted to be left alone however all ten got the same treatment. "What are you going to name them?" He asked.

"I haven't decided yet. I'll pick out some name later, only one do I have a name for."

"Oh yeah which one is that?"

"This one. It's a lion head and a giant mix. I'm almost sure of that." Pointing to the one I had already named after him.

"Ok so what is it?"

"Jeremy"

"Yes?"

I laughed at the expression on his face, "no silly I named her Jeremy."

"Really? Her..."

"Oh please. I didn't know it was a female until just right now. She's like you. The name sticks."I said. "She's a sweetie."

"Your naming a female bunny after me? I don't know whether to laugh or cry."

"Neither. Wanna know why I named her Jeremy? It's because she's loyal. She wanted to come to me but was afraid for her litter mates. She was nothing but love when I did get her out. She's a good rabbit."

He went over to cage and placed his long fingers against the cage and the rabbit Jeremy came over sniffed him and then but her paws on the cage as she head butted the cage as if to say take me out please and I'll love you. He looked up questioned."she wants you to pick her up." I said and he unlatched the cage and placed his hand around her and she basically jumped into his arms. I had my phone out and took a picture of his cradling the tan bunny. They seemed to be getting along and she began to nuzzle on his neck and he then placed her back in. Everyone in the bunny house was settled and we walked in to the house.

The kids had already eaten some of the pizza when I decided I wasn't that hungry. I walked in to find Cissi and Greg both asleep on the couches with the tv on. Gabby was near asleep when I realized that Jeremy might want to go back to the set. I looked at him and he seemed to read my mind. "I'll just crash here tonight you can drop me off at the car after the kids go to school."

"Good. I was afraid we'd have to wake them then they would never go back to sleep."

"They are worn out. Two exciting day in a row."

"Yeah and tomorrow they have the school dance."

"Yeah."

"This much excitement should last the rest of the year. We really are boring normal people."

"There is nothing boring about you."

"Mom it's time for bed."Sarina said as she walked In the room.

"If you want to sleep down here you can." I said back as I looked at gabby who was now snoring.

"Awesome! I'll go get my stuff.", she said as she bolted up the stairs.

I walked into the other room to get the blankets I keep downstairs for this very reason and walked back into the room carrying  them. I dropped them on the floor and took one and covered Cissi. She mumbled something in her sleep. When I went to get the one for Greg, Jeremy had already taken it and was gently tucking him in. Gabbys was easy and I basically threw it on her she rolled over in the process and basically wrapped herself up good. Sarina came back downstairs with her blankets, even at 13 she was attached to her special blanket and had a hard time sleeping with out it.I turned of the tv as she got settled into her spot on the couch.

"Goodnight mom. Goodnight Jeremy." She quietly said.

"Good night." I said.

"Good night kiddo." Jeremy said at the same time.

With all that we walked back in to the living room and sat down on the couches.

"You wanna talk about the place?" He asked."what was going on in the house?"

"The person died. Not only died was dead for awhile I guess the way they were acting. They said crime scene so I'm not sure how. As for the bunnies it was crowded. The person had set up an automatic feeding system which is what kept the rabbits alive. Well most of the rabbits. They where going through cages and they'd find a dead one everyonce and awhile. I guessing the person had been dead for about four to six months. It looked like the litters that where there are almost full grown now so a small breeding cage became their home. I'm hoping that no one mated with a sibling but that isn't unheard of. The sheer size of the place was amazing and the setup was cool. I thought Lester was joking about the numbers but after seeing it I'd almost like to think that he underestimated. There may have been upwards of a thousand rabbits in there. If the death hadn't been found soon there could have been many more."

"What's wrong?" He asked after noticing the way I stopped.

"I feel bad I couldn't help more of them. I know I took on ten which to a normal person is a lot but I just wish I could do more."

"Your such a good person. How did I get so lucky?" He said. "Most people I know they would have taken one or two and not given a second thought. You go and take on ten without thought and are worried about the rest."

"It's just the way I am. I like animals more then people sometimes."

"So do I."