• Chapter 25 •

"Ow, ow! It hurts!" Melody giggled as she placed the wet wipe in Benedict's finger, which was covered in blood.

That big mistake he made was how he had slipped his hand behind Melody. In doing so, his finger had slit across the knife, leaving a nasty cut in Benedict's eyes.

"Ben, come on!" Melody sat next to him, delicately cleaning his cut as he clenched his teeth. "It's only a baby cut..." Benedict whimpered.

"Hmm... It doesn't feel like it Mels." Melody took a deep breath.

"Okay, close your eyes, and I'll tell you when it's over." Benedict scrunched his eyes shut.

"Okay... I trust you Mels." Melody smirked, and patted the wipe on his finger as lightly as she could, so no pain would be caused to her best friend. "You know... Your baby is so lucky."

"Really?" Melody scoffed.

"Yes... I think... that she will have the best Mother ever." Melody simpered.

"Thanks Ben."

"You're welcome, dear Mels." Finally, she tightened the plaster around his finger.

"All done!" Melody closed the first aid box and walked over the kitchen, Benedict knowing it was finally safe to look.

"Wait... wow... It's done." Melody chuckled, placing the box under the sink.

"See? You were right to trust me." Benedict got up and walked up behind Melody, placing his chin on her shoulder. A gasp found its way out of her lips. "Ben..."

"Mels..." He sang.

"Maybe I should carry on cutting the vegetables? Since you're so fragile right now." Benedict instantly refused. Why would he not?

"No, no Mels. I have to."

"Ben, you don't have to." He sighed, moving his fingers towards the knife.

"I do..."

"W-wait!" Benedict's heart jumped.

"Mels? What it is, is everything-"

"Yes, I'm fine. I think..." She reached for the knife, holding it in her hands. "... I think I should show you how to hold a knife." Benedict groaned. "It is for your own safety!"

"Fine..." He moaned, as Melody explained it to him quickly.

"Let me set you up." She took hold of Benedict's fingers and placed it on the knife. Melody and Benedict's eyes met and so their stare never broke. "You..." Melody's voice trailed off and so they just... stared.

Benedict could see right through Melody. He knew how much she had missed her Mother and how he should help her through the grief and pain that was still pondering.

Melody, on the other hand, knew that marrying Alex was the worst decision she had made. Ever.

Separating herself from Benedict all those years ago had been a mistake too.

"I..." Benedict started. His fingers loosened around the knife handle. "Mels, I just wanted to say..." All of sudden, he felt nothing in his hands and he took a few steps forward, quickly pulling Melody into him as the knife dropped. "Mels!" He cried out, her lips brushing his, as she wrapped her arms around his neck in panic.

Melody gasped, Benedict's breathe making her hairs stand up on end.

"T-t-thank you..." She stuttered, pressing his forehead onto his.

"N-no..." Benedict glanced at her lips. "... problem." Melody's heart rate escalated, quickly stepping back.

"I... I think none of us are safe in the kitchen." Melody giggled, Benedict chuckling.

"Yeh... We're cursed in this kitchen." Melody pouted her lips.

"Takeaway?"

"Yeh..." Benedict smiled, Melody carefully exiting the kitchen. He grabbed the phone and called out to Melody. "Mels! What do you want?" There was no answer. "Mels!" He called out again, this time anxious. Making his way into the living room, he saw Melody with her hands clawed into the sofa and her head bowed.

"Ben..."

"Mels?" He rushed to her, Melody's breathing deep and loud.

She reached around for his shoulder, squeezing it tightly.

"These contractions kill..." Benedict threw the phone onto the sofa, grabbed Melody's hand.

"Hey, hey. I'm here. As I said, you can squeeze this hand." She pressed her head against his chest, still breathing away. "The other one is already hurt. This way, both with be equal..." She peered up at Benedict like a lost puppy.

"Thank you... I'm sorry. I'm... probably breaking your hand..." Benedict chuckled.

"Nah. It's only a minor injury... I don't care if you break it. You're my best friend. My pregnant best friend, I don't mind." Melody moved up to Benedict's cheek, pecking it lightly.

"Thanks..." Benedict had known it now. They had a bond unlike any other friendship. A bond which he wanted to hold onto forever.

"I have an idea..."

"What?"

"Let's get you into bed..." Melody released her grip from his hand. "All done? No more hand breaking?"

"No, Ben. Bed will do nicely, thanks." They both smirked at each other, Benedict taking Melody into her Mother's room. "Wait... wrong room."

"No... I'll sleep here." She took a deep breath. "Besides, I don't think I'll fit in my own bed... Or the sofa for that matter."

"Yeh... Let me help you." Benedict walked over to the bed, pulling the sheet to the side and he fluffed up the pillows for Melody. "All set, my queen." He reached out for Melody's hand and so she gripped it tightly.

Benedict eased Melody into the bed and slipped off her shoes for her.

Benedict and Melody both knew, it was time. Time to tell each other how they felt about... everything.

Let us see, shall we?