Chapter 5: Down the Backstretch

*Jekyll And Hyde's POV*
The day of the Preakness Stakes came. The buzz around the stable was that Radio Girl was the favorite because of her Sire's record last year. I knew she was all speed and no stamina. I could easily take her on. My Sire was next to me in the next stall. He gave me tips on how to save my stamina but give Radio Girl a run for her money and tire her out. Randall came to tack me up. He threw the green number 3 blanket over my back then secured the saddle. Then I saw Jenny with the rest of the jockeys. I whinnied a hello. She patted my neck and put the blinkers on over my white bridle. She mounted up and we headed for the dirt. I put on my game attitude and became Hyde.

*Jenny's POV *
I walked to the track and Jekyll became Hyde. He bobbed along with the other horses. He was rattled in the gates. He kicked at the gates and jumped around. I tried to hold him still so neither of us would get hurt. He finally settled down. When the gates opened he took off. I held him back. But he pulled at the bit. I then realized what he was doing. He was trying to run Radio Girl ragged. He kept just to her flank until eventually she grew tired and faded back and Hyde sprinted with full stamina and speed for the finish. We won by 3! After he slowed I bent over his neck and hugged him. He was the smartest champion I'd seen. There was a party for Team Paradise Stakes. We celebrated and partied. The next morning I went out to the stable and Jekyll was down! He was laying in his stall and refused to stand. He also looked plae. I called the vet right away and I feared that I would lose my horse. The Triple Crown didn't matter anymore.