Chapter 50- Damage

Mulai dari awal

"Great." James said, honestly though he couldn't be bothered.

"So of course, I've heard nothing from the press whatsoever so I am happy to go through with this deal." He said.

James said nothing back.

-"James?"

James blinked several times, his eyes had caught the sight of the photo booth snap photos that was in one of his draws. It was the time when James had intentionally temporary dyed his hair and added contacts to change his appearance just for her, in this one he was playfully kissing her cheek. The fragment of this brought him back to Harper.

-"James" Jackal repeated.

James shook his head coming back to reality. "Yeah, sorry." He said, coughing as he shut the draw. Jackal chuckled. "I thought I was boring you, son."

"Of course not. Sorry. Yeah, I have been looking towards this deal." James said.

"Well, I would like to enrol in the deal then. Say this week, I have you sign the contract and I. Is that okay?" Jackal asked.

"Yeah, that's fine. Bye." James said ending the call soon after.

He ensured to phone his own father who was most satisfied with the result of the deal. James wasn't at all enthusiastic like his father was and ended most of the time not listening to a word that was said. James couldn't get Harper off his mind.

"Son?" His father said interrupting his thoughts.

"Yeah, what?"

His father sighed down the line. "What's going on? I can tell you have not taken in a single word I have said."

"Look, can we not? I got the deal, okay?" James grumbled.

"Son, what happened? Hang on, scratch that. The girl. I bet it has something to do with that." His father pointed out.

"Let's not, okay?" James cautioned.

"What did you do this time? Has playing with girls finally caught up with you?" His father asked.

"Just stop! I get it! Okay!" James growled then sighed. "I get it...I messed up." His father didn't respond straight away then answered. "You better work for it then." James sighed down the line muttering bye then ended the call. He threw his phone onto the desk, resting his head onto his hand. Great, just great he thought to himself.

The rest of the day was just as depressing as he expected. No Harper. Always he expected Harper to head in, him to wrap his arms around her, mutter soothing words into her ear and just see that infectious smile he loved that she wore every time he made her laugh.

And now, instead of Harper. A temporary PA was taken in her place something he had objected but couldn't be bothered to spare a word. James had spent most of his day sitting at his desk, his interest in work was limited. Nothing was making him motivated. Everything reminded him of Harper.

Harper. The girl he had lost.

~~~

Harper had did what she said she would do. Just not that night. She was so exhausted that she fell asleep. Dani was glad she did. Harper was in not fit to go out. It hurt to see Harper such broken. Dani was more than ever cautious to not entail to tell her own problem with more of those random messages from her stalker.

Just as Harper had said. Harper stood before the mirror trying to conceal the dark circles beneath her eyes. She unclasped the band from her hair letting her waves hang lose upon her shoulders. The reflection of herself in the mirror became blurry that she didn't even realise she was crying until a tear fell from her cheek. Harper sniffled wiping away the tears before taking a deep breath then she headed back out to Dani. Duke was already out so Harper wouldn't have the problem of him; just Dani and herself.