Chapter Sixteen.

Chapter Sixteen.

EVALINE.

            A storm is brewing; I can feel it in the air.

The wind blows outside of my house with no mercy, and I can hear Mother Nature herself howling through the night. My stomach churns with anticipation for the big storm that has been forecasted, and I watch from my living room window as the people in the neighborhood scurry inside of their homes for safety.

They feel safe inside their homes.

From what, is really the question– the rain? Myself, on the other hand, does not feel secure trapped in the walls of my foundation. I feel isolated, and alone. I feel as if something horrible has happened, and I have yet to find out what it is. 

I left Ross’ mansion early in the evening, after hearing about the storm. He gave me a ride back to my little apartment and I can still remember the mask of regret that he wore on his face before I shut the passenger side door. He didn’t want me to leave, and he is afraid that I will never come back. It is funny, though. I have the same fears, but for different reasons. I fear that he will never come back, but not of his choice. I feel as if from this moment on, higher forces are going to keep us separated. Call it paranoia or call it a third sense… I don’t know what it is or if it is accurate, I just know that it is what I feel.

I pull the curtain over the window and walk away from it, too afraid to watch the rest of the storm. It is like the storm is a presentation of my feelings, my inner turmoil – and it is putting on a show for the entire city.

Turning on the television, I grab my phone from the table and realize that I hadn’t even bothered to turn it on since five o’clock this morning when I called Tabby. I shake my head and sit on the couch. She has probably tried calling me every minute for the last six hours. The screen lights up and goes to my menu-screen.

Ten missed calls.

Not as bad as I imagined… but wait.

They are all from Ethan.

He called me ten times, and didn’t leave one message. And nothing from Tabby – that’s just unbelievable. Tabby would have usually called at least once after a stunt like what I pulled off today. And what was Ethan thinking? Why did he feel the need to call me so much throughout the day? Oh yeah. Aren’t I just the sharpest tool in the shed! Ethan probably felt something through our bond when I was with Ross. How strong is our bond? How much did he feel? This is not good… not good at all.

I dial Tabby’s number immediately, only to be greeted by her answering machine right away.

Odd.

I leave a message.

“Hi Tabs, it’s me. We need to talk, so whenever you get this please give me a call. Okay? Thanks.” I pause. “And, Tabs? I love you.”  I hang up, feeling a slight pang in my stomach.

Now Ethan.

“Hello?” Ah, yes. That is what he sounds like.

I haven’t heard his voice in over two weeks, and it still has the same effect on me.

“Uh, hi. It’s Evaline.” I stare at the television as a mute soap opera plays.

“Thank God! I have been trying to reach you forever. Are you okay?” His voice is sincere and relieved.

“I’m just fine, what’s wrong?”

“I have just had this horrid feeling all morning and day. I thought that something had happened to you! You have no idea how glad I am that you called.”