Chapter 3 -- Cheering Squad is a WAR

I'm standing in front of the club bulletin for half an hour now and staring at a piece of paper, clipped on the board. I'm hesitating whether to assign up for the cheering squad or not. Especially if your best friend suddenly warned you that joining the cheering squad is a WAR, what would you do? This is making me depress but I've got no choice but sign up. SIGH~ after half an hour of thinking I wrote down my name to that piece of paper. Now I wait for the afternoon practice.

                "Cheering squad? Nice choice," a sarcastic voice spoke from my shoulder. Chris Adams was leaning near to my left shoulder from behind so I could hear him loud and clear.   

                I suddenly took a few steps away from him. Don't want to get too close to him.  "What do you want?" I retorted, making me angry early in the morning.

                "I'm already your friend, aren't I?" he asked.

                 Right, we're friends, as if! "People aren't watching, so what's with the façade?" I asked, raising one of my eyebrows at him. Being frank is one of my qualities. After all I don't need to pretend in front of him when we both know who we are in the past.

                He swiftly leans towards me. "I mean what I said," he said while looking straight into my eyes. "Did you lie when you said we could be friends?" he asked. From all of the people I've met his eyes were the most beautiful I have seen. His keen blue eyes even made my pale cheeks redden that I turn my eyes away from him. 

                 That just great! Now I'm the one being mean to him. I can't even look back at his gaze. "What do you expect me to do? Act like you didn't do anything awful to me and just be friendly with you?" I protest. I suffered a lot back in middle school and I won't easily forgive him for that.

                "You're mad at me and you don't want to be friends with me," he said as he leans a lot more closely to me. I'm angry right now but the closer his beautiful face and his deep intense blue eyes towards me is just too much for me to handle. "If I apologized, would you forgive me?" he asked gently. I cleared my throat, took a step back just to distance myself.

                I did say that I won't forgive him easily so, "NO" I said with emphasizes.

                "Well, that's a bit sad," he said, stepping closer again to me. "Then, what would you call us?"He said deepening his gaze on me and I could not stop looking at lips which was closer to mine.    

                "Rival," I said without hesitation and looking straight back at him.  

                "Rival?" he said while trying not to laugh. "Fine, if that's what you want. Not friends but rivals," he cackled.  He leans back, distancing himself from me while holding his laughter. "Anyway just like you, I neither see you as a friend nor a rival but rather... less than a rival, I guess?" he smirked.

               Oh God please forgive me if this little lamb is murdering someone in her mind. "Don't be too conceited... you don't know when this someone you call less than a rival will exceed you," I said smirking back at him.

               Then I walk my way to class. I didn't bother to look to his expression after what I've said. I've change my looks and even the way I think, so whenever he makes an annoying remark I would know how to counter it.  Right now I'm annoyed that his following.

                "What now?!" I asked, sounded a bit annoyed while turning around to face him.

               He was a bit surprised for a second but then he understood why I asked. "Don't be assuming, I'm in the same class as you are," he answered.