Chapter Ten

Ella

"Draco?" I haven't seen him in so long, except during or between classes. But even then, it feels like he's not even there because he leaves straight after class, meaning I don't get any chances to talk to him. He looks at me briefly before mumbling a quick apology. But before he can leave again, I grab his wrist. Suddenly, all my hate for him disappears, replaced by the urge to find out why he was ignoring me like he has been doing for the past week. I feel like he doesn't know me anymore, and I don't know him.

"Draco, wait." I stare at him intensely, my gaze unwavering. He looks at me but doesn't reach my eyes- something is up. Before he can say anything, I cut him off annoyingly. "Why have you been ignoring me? I don't hate you, you know?" I didn't want to mention the Dark Mark now- not in front of Cara and people. Realising what I have said, Draco looks at me, a small smile beginning to form on his face. I feel relieved, knowing that he doesn't hate me either.

I let go of his wrist, trusting that he wouldn't try to run away from me. "I'm sorry Draco, but you gotta stop running away from me." I tell him. He just gives me a sigh in response and looks to the ground. I notice how visible the dark bags are under his eyes but compared to the last time I saw him, he was looking a lot better. "I'm sorry Ella, I just didn't have time."

No shit Sherlock.

But somehow, my gut told me he wasn't just spending all his time preparing for exams. He was spending his time doing something else, but what?

I simply shrugged his sentence off, deciding not to linger around with him further. I'd just talk to him another time. "Cya Draco." I gave him a quick smile before turning around.

"Wait!" Draco suddenly exclaimed. I turned around to face him, a look of panic written all over his face. He looked a bit hesitant at first, but finally he managed to utter the words out. "D-don't stray too far from your common room tomorrow night, okay?"

Confused, I decided to ask him what he meant but he had already started walking towards his next class. I stared at his back, wondering why I always felt confused and overwhelmed whenever I was around him.

He makes me want to pull my hair out.

~*~*

Draco

"D-don't stray too far from your common room tomorrow night, okay?" I said softly. I could see the confusion in her eyes, but there was no way I was going to tell her that a war would break out. I needed to keep her alive and safe, she at least deserved that much.

I forced myself to turn away and walk, ignoring her desperate looks and trying hard to not blurt out everything to her. Get a grip, Draco. You're acting like a pussy. I quickly walk down the corridor with long strides, and soon enough I make it past a corner. I immediately buried my now tear streaked face into my hands, and let the tears fall. I couldn't tell Ella, I can't trust anything I do, otherwise the Dark Lord would find out.

My head throbbed with intensity as I slowly slid down the wall, and hit the floor with a thump. I hated life, I hated everything. People always thought I was brave and tough, not afraid to stand up to teachers and mock them. But here I am now. If they ever saw me like this, they would think that they weren't even looking at the same person.

And I knew why I was so afraid, why I was always running. It was because of her, that I was still in this world, living in this misery.

It was because of Ella, that I was forced to live in this world drowned in lies and pain.

And with that, I once again buried my face into my hands and let the tears fall, not before letting my knees give in and slamming into the hard stone
as the darkness overwhelmed me.

~*~*~

Nothing was more frustrating than waking up and realizing with a sudden jolt that you have school. I groaned and sat up in a daze, still not registering in my brain where I was. As my vision cleared, I noticed the white bed sheets, and the window overlooking the grounds. Where was I?

The sun spilled through the stained glass windows and slowly crept into the room. I incoherently mumbled under my breath, as I noticed dry tear streaks onto my face and suddenly the events came piling in from yesterday afternoon. I fainted, didn't I?

"You're awake." Madame Pomfrey walked in with a smile on her chubby face. I didn't bother to return that smile, I needed to get out of here. I flung the white sheets over and started to get up, but immediately Madame Pomfrey hustled over and pushed me back with a firm grip. "Not so fast," she warned. "You still might have a headache, you hit your head pretty bad." I was confused- I hit my head? Suddenly, a sharp pain spread around the temple of my head which made my vision go a blurry for a moment. "Ughh..." I groaned. I layed back in the pillow, figuring I'll stay in the bed for a while longer. My mind wandered to the window where sparrows were chirping distantly in the background. As my eyes slowly fluttered shut, I suddenly found myself at peace for one moment of my hectic life.

Until someone had to come in and disturb my state of peace.

"Draco!" Blaise rushed from the entrance towards the side of my bed, panting from the effort of running so fast. I rolled my eyes sarcastically and pretended I hadn't noticed Blaise, but deep inside I knew he was suffering much more than me, when I only had a little bump to my head.

"Hey Blaise." I smiled at him, his cheeks tinted a dark shade of scarlet as he regained his breath once again. Disregarding my hello, he started to speak in a flurry of words. "Draco, you weren't in your bed last night, I had no fucking clue where the hell you were, why didn't you tell me-"

"I'm fine." I cut him off abruptly and gently squeezed his shoulder. Blaise still had a face full of mixed emotions, but soon enough his stiff features had softened into a scared one. "I was so scared the Dark Lord caught you or something." Blaise whispered. "Anything could've happened, I just-" Blaise stopped himself, fear written all of his eyes. My heart plummeted, and without thinking, I sat up and engulfed him into a hug. The poor guy, Blaise just stood still in shock, and didn't pry me off or anything.

When I let go of him, he looked at me dumbfounded. "I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you, I'm a horrible person." For once in my life, I was speaking from my heart. Blaise doesn't deserve bullshit and he wasn't going to get any, because I'm here for him and I swore to myself that I'll protect my best friend at all costs.

"Thanks Draco... I didn't expect to hear that but it did make my day." A small smile made his way onto his tired and weary face which was constantly filled with worry lines.

I didn't reply as I lay back onto the bed and let the rest of the afternoon wear on.

-----------

Hope this wasn't too boring for you guys, it was just kind of a filler so yeah.

The story will get better so don't worry, I'm planning on reuniting Ella and Draco, so it does get exciting!

On one more note, I probably won't be updating as much because I have exams and won't have time to write, so sorry about that. ;-(

- potaaato xx