Chapter Nine

Draco

Lately, I've been spending my nights tucked in the Room of Requirement and working on the Vanishing Cabinet. After many countless hours and sleepless nights, I've finally managed to put a white bird in the cabinet, and send it back and forth alive. My heart swelled in pride and the breath that I've been holding for days has been released- I feel like I can breathe now, knowing that my efforts have been worthwhile.

I stepped back, and decided to initiate my plan in a weeks time. I still can't get adjusted to the fact that I'd be killing Dumbledore- if it were possible that is. I've heard that he's disappeared and on the run lately, and I don't know whether I should feel scared or glad. But either way, I know that my job must be done, even if it puts me in an uncomfortable position.

I headed out of the room, ducking my head out quickly to see if Filch or Mrs Norris happens to be in the corridor- I could get a serious detention if I was caught out this late, especially since that wicked Umbridge was running the school. Seeing as the coast was clear, I swiftly darted down the eerie, moon-lit corridor and soon enough I had reached my common room.

"Mudblood." I breathed out, panting slightly from running down all those flights of stairs. The door shifted open, as I stepped into the Slytherin common room. I expected to find no one here at this hour, but surprisingly Blaise was lying on the couch, staring into the emerald green flames with a blank face. Curious, I approached him quietly and sat down next to him. He didn't even notice me as I looked at him with a frown. "Hey, Blaise." I'd almost forgotten about that fight over Pansy weeks ago, so I wasn't sure if he still remembered. Blaise looked at me, with dark bags under his eyes and cracked lips. "Hey," he croaked. "Didn't know anyone would still be out." He once again stared back at the green fire which danced and twirled enticingly. I fidgeted slightly, until I noticed Blaise move the corner of his lips.

"I heard Harry and Ella are no longer a thing." He says. My heart stops suddenly, but at the same time I was happy. Ella had finally dumped the douche- what did she ever see in him?

I couldn't help the grin spreading over my face as Blaise looked over at me knowingly. "Figured." He smirked tiredly. Clearing my throat I stood up, my brain still occupied in thought. "I'm tired, I'll see you later mate." I slapped his back and was about to depart but stopped myself suddenly when a question popped into my head. "Hey Blaise..." I trailed off, wondering whether this was a good idea to ask him or not. "What happened to you? You look... Dead." Blaise flicked his bloodshot eyes towards me with a blank face once again. "Oh look, it's a long story."

That was it? He doesn't trust me enough to tell me? "Blaise, look at me." I suddenly sounded more firm and strict, touching his shoulder and squeezing it gently. "Blaise, come on. I'm your best mate!" I urged on and fought the feeling to shout at him. Blaise slowly turned toward me and sighed softy. "Draco, I know but you really don't want to hear this." His voice sounded so much more vulnerable and soft compared to his usual arrogant tone. I knew that this was something big. "Just tell me." I whispered, bracing myself for his next words.

I sensed Blaise sharply inhale, before saying, "The Dark Lord wants to kill me."

~*~*

Ella

"Miss Ashton, would you please face the front." I suddenly snapped out of my trance and mumbled a quick apology, before turning my attention to an angry Professor McGonagall. "What is the formula for transfiguring something?" She asked. I stuttered in embarrassment, still not sure what's happening around me. I slyly sneaked a glance towards Cara but she was busy writing something down. Damn it.

"Um... I don't know...?" I smiled sheepishly which earned me another menacing glare from McGonagall. "10 points from Gryffindor." She walked briskly away and returned to the front of the room. She continued to talk about the formula for basic transfiguration in which we were revising, my cheeks still flaring with embarrassment. I kept my head down, determined to not doze off again. I noticed Cara turn her head towards me and gives me a sympathetic smile. Scowling, I turn my back to her for not helping me out- I would've if she was ever called on! But I doubt it, she always knows the answer so what's the point?

The rest of the period dragged on until finally we were dismissed. I grumbled under my breath whilst packing my bag lazily, pissed off at the amount of homework that we were given. "Hey," Cara's voice broke through my train of thoughts as she leaned on the table in front of me. I shot her a quick glare before returning to my business, not caring if I seemed like a bitch. I guess all this stress for N.E.W.T.S has brought out the worst in me.

"Look, I'm sorry okay?" She said. I snapped my head towards her and just grumbled. Cara inspected her nails and bit her lip nervously. After a few seconds, she looked at me. "I just didn't want to give you the answer all the time, that's all. What would happen during our exams and you don't remember anything? I'm doing you a favour." I considered her words for a moment, maybe I have been selfish. I didn't look at her again as I tucked the last remaining books into my bag and slung it over my shoulder. "Sorry Cara if I was acting like a jerk." I apologised. She gave me a quick smile. "That's alright, I was scared that you would hate me over a silly problem." I chuckled, there was no way we would stop being friends! I mean, we do have our disputes and fights but our arguments never last for more than a week. I grinned at her, pushing away my stress and worries to the back of my mind. That was the last thing I'd need to worry about. "Sorry, I'm just a bit weird. I guess it's just the exams making me snap." I muse as I shrug my shoulders. Cara doesn't reply as she engulfs me in a hug. "Elle, of course I forgive you. I don't blame you though... All that fiasco with Harry must be exhausting."

Harry... My smile drops a little as his face pops into my head. We walked out of the classroom, my arm slung over Cara's shoulder. "Honestly, it's not like I was head over heels for Harry, it's just that-"

THUD. Someone suddenly bumped into my side, causing me I topple over onto the floor, whilst dragging Cara down with me. "Watch it!" I told the person. Scrambling to get up on my feet, I took Cara's hand and hoisted her up as well. I glared into the strangers misty grey eyes- wait.

It was Draco Malfoy.