Chapter Five

Always Ariel

Chapter Five

~~

Ariel awoke the next morning slightly disoriented. The smell of coffee hit her nose as she sat up on the sofa. Slowly she remembered the night before. She and Nathan had stayed up late talking. She had gotten to know a little about him. He told her about his father Xavier who was a cold man as Nathan described him.  

It was his mother he didn't really speak of, Ariel noticed. The only thing he said was that she died giving birth to him.

"Good morning" She heard Nathan say as he walked towards her with a steaming cup of Arbuckle's.

"Good morning." She said returning his smile.

"I didn't know if you liked cream and sugar or not."

"I do but I can drink it without."

"Nonsense I'll bring it to you." he said handing her the cup before he left to go back into the kitchen. Ariel looked around the house noticing how different it looked in the light. The walls had cedar paneling that blended with the floor and the uncarpeted stairs. She desired to make this house a home but she wanted to refrain from such things until she felt more comfortable with her role as a wife.

Nathan came back with cream and sugar containers on a tray of matching silver. The tea set was very beautiful Ariel noticed and wondered if he had gotten it from his mother, or if he had simple just ordered it from a catalog.

"Our train leaves in four hours" Nathan said as he set the train on the end table "it'll be around three and a half days until we're in Boston."

Ariel nodded blushing when she realized she was in her night gown. She nonchalantly pulled the quilt closer to her she took her cup as she got up taking the quilt with her.

"I'm going to go get dressed." She said getting up. She was thankful her mother had insisted that she packed more than one travel dress as the other still had ash on it from her journey here.

~~ ~~

Nathan watched Ariel leave. She would be easy to fall for, but he reminded himself that he had to guard his heart. Women in his life always left him one way or another. His was only second best, and that's all he would ever be.

Suddenly he wondered why a girl as beautiful as Ariel had agreed to marry someone she'd never met. Last night she had spoken of her family, they were very close so he wondered what made her want to leave them. Perhaps one day he would get to know the answers to his many questions about her.

He hadn't cooked breakfast thinking they could just go to the MacCailein's café as he usually did. But then he wondered if Ariel would want to eat at the café. He walked up the stairs knocking on the door.

"Yes?" she answered in a sing-song voice.

"I was wondering if you wanted to eat at the café for breakfast." He said leaning next to the door. Ariel opened the door.

"No need I'll just whip something up whilst you get your things in order for Boston." Ariel answered smiling brightly. She walked past him leaving the door to the bedroom open.

After packing two Carpet bags for himself he placed them on top of Ariel's trunk picking them all up at once and making his way downstairs. The smell of ham and eggs met his nose almost immediately, it smelt heavenly. He quickened his pace putting the trunk down near the sofa before making his way to the kitchen.

Ariel had her back towards him as she sung a hymn sweetly. He smiled as he saw she had tied her hair back with an oversized ribbon. The hem of her skirt swept across the floor as she moved with skill preparing the food.