Epilogue

Six months later, Christina and Dan were sitting on the veranda of the Rosetti's mansion on the outskirts of Palermo, Sicily, overlooking the manicured lawns and the vineyards reaching all the way down to the glistening sapphire sea.

"I'm so happy," Christina said and stretched out lazily on her lounge chair.

Dan stared at her adoringly. Her skin had turned golden-brown from the sun, and her cheeks had a healthy pink color. She's finally relaxed, he thought.

"I could stay here forever, but I know you need to get back to work," she said and reached over to caress his hand.

"Whenever you're ready," he said and squeezed her hand in his. He didn't want to pressure her into anything. The months following their return to Atlanta had been very stressful, with the trial and her sister's ordeal.

The mobsters had been convicted and sentenced to life, and Fabiani had also been convicted of Adriana Rosetti's murder. At least, Christina's sister was released, as it was proven that she didn't know anything about Fabiani's plans, and she had nothing to do with her grandmother's murder.

After her sister was free, Christina and she spent a couple of weeks together in Nevada, getting to know each other.

Dan missed her a lot but realized that she had needed this time away. He understood her wish to be alone with her sister for a while. He stayed in Atlanta, working hard and spending the weekends at the house on the lake. Janet had asked him to stay with them for a while, but he needed to be alone, too. Things were changing rapidly, and he needed time to adjust.

Christina came back to Atlanta a new person, more confident and determined than ever. She had made plans for her life and had everything worked out in her mind. She and Dan were married, and he took a six-month leave from his job. They flew to Paris for two weeks and then to Kefalonia to spent some time exploring the beauty of the island and enjoying each other's company. The amazing beaches and the luxuriant countryside left an indelible impression on their minds.

A month later, Christina was ready to visit Palermo, Sicily. Anna Maria had talked to her about the beautiful countryside and the endless vineyards stretching all the way down to the curvaceous coastline. And she hadn't exaggerated at all-the beauty of the place and the elegance of the Rosetti's mansion took their breath away.

They had a wonderful time, just relaxing and enjoying each other's company. The house was beautiful, and the people nice and friendly. They'd spent their time going on small excursions, enjoying the countryside, playing tennis, swimming in the pool, or horseback riding.

However, they had been here for two months now, and Dan was eager to go back. Not that this place wasn't beautiful, but he'd missed Atlanta and his job. Christina had asked him once if he would consider leaving his job. But Dan refused to even think about it. Even though it was a very demanding and frustrating job, he loved it. Christina probably knew that, and she didn't insist, simply assuring him that he didn't need to work anymore with all the money they had.

After their grandmother's death, Christina and Anna Maria inherited an amount of thirty million dollars, in addition to the sixty-five from their father. After talking it over with her sister, Christina decided to keep the family houses in Nevada, Palermo, and Kefalonia, and an amount of twenty million dollars each and donate the rest of the money. Christina hired a prestigious law firm in Atlanta and set up a charity foundation in memory of their mother.

Anna Maria had decided to stay at the family house in Nevada for a while, and Christina was planning on visiting her as soon as they returned to the States. She wanted to spend some more time with her sister.

"You know," Christina began. "I think we should come back next year and ask Janet and James to come with us. And then we can fly to Greece for a few days and stay at the mansion on Kefalonia. Emily would love both places."

"I'm sure she would," Dan said.

"Then it's settled," Christina said. "I'll talk to Anna Maria, also. It'll be nice if all seven of us gather here next summer."

"You mean all six of us," Dan corrected her and laughed.

"No, I mean all seven," Christina said and glanced at him teasingly.

Dan stared at her inquiringly, and when she burst out laughing, he jumped up and pulled her into his arms.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked.

"I just found out," Christina replied. "My period was late so yesterday, I went to town and visited a gynecologist. He confirmed that I'm two months pregnant."

"Oh, babe!" Dan cried out. "You make me the happiest man in the world. I love you so much."

"I love you, too," Christina said, and their lips locked in a passionate kiss.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please click on 'external link' below to leave a review of Dark Shadows of the Past on Amazon. Thank you from everyone on my team at Booktrope Publishing for reading. I appreciate you all so much.