Chapter Nineteen

Dan left early next morning to meet with Meyers and, afterwards, with Alexis. Besides, it was a lot easier communicating with Miles when Christina wasn't around. He didn't want to keep reminding her of the difficult situation they were still in.

Dan drove by Meyers's hotel to compare notes with him. Meyers knew about Christina's grandmother but had no information on Fabiani. He was going to check with the Bureau and let Dan know what he found out.

Leaving the hotel, Dan tried to call Christina, but his battery was dead. Damn, I forgot to charge it again, last night. I'll charge it at the police station, he thought as he was heading there to meet with Alexis.

"Let's go," Alexis said, the moment Dan walked into his office.

"What's up?" Dan asked.

"Fabiani is due on the island any minute now."

"Let's go then," Dan agreed and followed Alexis outside and into the unmarked police Jeep.

By the time they drove to the airport, the plane had already landed. Alexis parked the Jeep, and they rushed inside to the arrivals. He showed Dan a photo of Fabiani and then they split up searching for him.

The airport was pretty crowded. Dan walked around, keeping his eyes open, but Fabiani was nowhere to be found.

Dan walked over to the cafeteria and decided to sit there for a while and watch the front entrance of the airport. It was then that he saw her. There she was, wearing a beautiful white dress with a wide green belt around her tiny waist and a pair of green, high heel sandals. She had her hair pulled up in a green ribbon and looked lovelier than ever.

His stomach did a somersault flip, and his pulse accelerated. Fabiani was holding her by the waist as they were walking side by side, following a uniformed chauffer who was carrying his luggage. They walked out the front door to a black limousine that was parked outside.

Dan jumped up and followed them from a distance. He felt numb inside. The chauffeur put the luggage down and held the door open for them. Right before they climbed into the car, Fabiani took Christina in his arms and kissed her passionately on the lips. Christina returned his kiss and then pulled back and stared into his eyes.

Dan stood there, watching Christina and Fabiani getting inside the black limo, unable to comprehend what was happening. The whole thing was so surreal. He wanted to pinch himself to make sure he was awake, and this wasn't just another nightmare.

As the limo took off, Dan snapped out of it and rushed to the Jeep to find Alexis waiting for him, with a dumbfounded look on his face.

"Don't ask," Dan said angrily. "I have no idea!"

Alexis started his unmarked police Jeep and followed the limo down the street, keeping a safe distance.

Dan was furious and all tangled up inside. He couldn't believe that he'd been fooled like this. His love for her had affected his judgment—he shouldn't have trusted her. She had lied once before about her real identity. Why not lie again? Only God knew what other lies she had told him. That's it, he decided and clenched his fists. "Don't lose them," he urged Alexis.

"I won't," Alexis replied. "But I don't want them to spot us, either."

The limo pulled up in front of an office building. Alexis stopped the Jeep, and they sat in silence, watching the couple exit the limo and enter the building.

Alexis climbed out of the car and went to check the signs at the entrance of the building. "A law firm, a real estate agency, and some doctor offices," he said coming back to the car.