Chapter Nine

Christina squeezed her eyes tight as dread washed over her. What was it that Dan was so upset about? And what about Johnny? What was the deal with him, and where had he been all this time?

She grabbed hold of the railing and drew some deep breaths, trying to clear her mind. As a few more minutes went by, and Dan didn't come outside, she strode back inside.

He was in the kitchen, putting the groceries in the refrigerator and the cabinets. "Are you hungry?" he asked as soon as she walked inside, without looking at her.

"Why don't you tell me what's wrong?" Christina inquired, ignoring his question.

"Nothing is wrong," he responded, flatly.

"Then why have you been in such a bad mood ever since you spoke to Miles on the phone?" she insisted.

He walked over to the back window and glanced outside. "Your friend has gotten himself into some serious trouble," he replied.

"Johnny?" Christina asked, anxiously, staring at his back. "What happened? Is he all right?" She steeled herself, knowing she wouldn't like his answer.

"Oh, don't worry. He's fine!" Dan replied, with a touch of sarcasm in his voice, and turned to face her.

Christina stared at him, trying to figure him out. "Why are you so mad at him?" she asked. "What did he do?"

"I'm not mad," he insisted. "I just don't think that he treated you right."

"What do you mean?" Christina asked, confused.

"He should have never gotten you involved in all this," he replied.

"It wasn't his fault," Christina protested, even though, deep down inside she knew he was right.

Dan didn't seem convinced. "He knew the kind of people he was dealing with. He should have kept you out of all this," he insisted.

"He tried. He told them I had nothing to do with all this, but they didn't believe him," Christina pointed out. "However, I never understood why they took me with them?" she added.

"They were looking for a tape," Dan said.

"Oh, yes!" Christina remembered. "They were asking about a tape."

"We found out that your friend had managed to get his hands on an incriminating tape. They wanted that tape pretty bad."

"So that's why they searched me and my purse," Christina mumbled, feeling a chill caressing her spine as she remembered the frightening moments in Johnny's apartment.

"Yes," Dan agreed. "We also found out that Beavers was involved with them. But he was spooked because his voice was on that tape, too. They probably feared that he might try to make a deal with the police and got him out of the way."

"But what about me?" Christina inquired.

"It seems that after they had found out you were still alive, they decided to abduct you from the hospital and use you to put pressure on your friend to give them the tape," Dan said. "Then again..."

"Then again, what?" she inquired, feeling a warning bell going off.

"I told you before. Something doesn't feel right," he replied, staring at her. "The attack with the helicopter was to kill you, not capture you... Is there something you're not telling me, Christina?" he inquired.

Christina knew she would have to confide in him sooner or later...but she was unprepared for this conversation right now. "I don't understand what's going on," she lied.