Chapter 40 - Out of Retirement

Stella's best friend, Millie Szymanski, lived in a two-bedroom ranch house across the street from Saint Jude's. She was drinking a cup of warm milk when Stella and Johnny knocked on the rear screen door.

"Stella? Johnny? I've been worried sick about you," Millie whispered, seeing their faces through the screen. "Frank called me and said the police came by. Said you were both missing from Shady Palms and nobody could figure out what happened!"

Stella and Johnny slid in past the screen door, careful not to open it too wide and make the hinges creak. Once inside, Stella shut the blinds and gave Millie a hug.

"I am sorry to make you worry, Millie. I would've told you earlier if I could have."

Millie offered two chairs at the kitchen table and set out a plate of peanut butter cookies. "Well now, tell me! What the heck is going on?"

"To be honest, I am not sure I should," Stella replied, as her friend placed two cups of milk in the microwave.

"What do you mean? You've always shared everything with me. You don't trust me?"

"Of course I trust you. I just don't want to tell you anything that could get you in trouble."

"I am your best friend! You disappear without a word and then show up in the dark of night! You wanna give me a heart attack? You have to tell me what's going on."

"I sort of escaped from Shady Palms."

"What do you mean, you escaped?"

"I mean, I left there."

"Well, that's different from saying you escaped. That place wasn't a prison. It may have felt that way, but no one was keeping you there. I still don't understand what you're saying."

The microwave beeped; the cups of milk were ready.

"I had to do something. It's been nothing but hard knocks for a while now."

Millie sighed. "I understand where you're coming from. I am just as fed up as you are. What's there to do? You can't fight the system. You just got to take it."

"That's where I think you're wrong. We can fight back." Stella took the revolver out of her purse and put it in plain view on the table.

"Put that away, Stella! You nearly gave me a heart attack when you drove off to the supermarket with that pistol in your purse!"

"You know I am not a killer, but I have to let people know I mean business. I took some money from Shady Palms last night. And then we raided the doctor's office tonight to get some Helixin."

"You stole this stuff?"

"I think technically it's called robbing if you do it face-to-face."

"What were you thinking?"

"I told you, Millie, I couldn't take it anymore. Look, Millie, if you're afraid of trouble, being associated with me, I understand. I'll leave right now if you want."

"Don't insult me. You're my best friend, Stella. I understand what you did and why you did it. I just don't understand how you're going to get away with it."

"Millie, who are you kidding? People get away with stuff every day. It's just that folks like you and me are usually on the short end of the stick. I got a plan that could put us in the driver's seat for the rest of our lives."

"What about your son, should we call him? I'm sure he's just as worried as I was."

"No, leave him out of this for now. I don't want him to know where I am. Not yet."