Part 2

Josh slid into the booth behind Adrianna, taking in the diner and the people in it. His big body barely fit in the booth but he had to stay close to try to overhear what was going on and hopefully learn what move Adrianna would make next.  He had wished he didn't answer the phone to his friend GIanni.  Gianni had hired a PI to follow her but had lost her within a few hours. Josh owed Gianni big time from the years of service they were together as cops in Seattle.  They had covered each other many times but Gianni had literally saved his life. So he could hardly say no.  Follow the errant lady, hopefully she would return on her own merit and Josh could go back to his cold. lonely life.  Don't feel sorry for him though, he preferred it that way.

Opening the menu, Josh pretended to peruse the items available.

The older waitress approached Adrianna's table and set down a water glass and pulled her order book out.

"I'm Louise and I will be taking care of you, young lady.  I'm assuming your the young lady the trooper sent?" She asked, peering over her glasses that were perched on her nose.

"Uh yes, I am.  He said you were the one to talk to about finding a job.  My name is..uh..Anna, Nice to meet you." Josh smirked to himself, thinking about when he had come up on her car pulled over by the state trooper. Already Adrianna was making friends. He didn't know a lot about her at all and assumed she was a spoiled brat running away from her 'problems'.  Interesting for sure.

Louise sat down the opposite seat from Adrianna and squared her shoulders.

"Oh yes, I know everyone and everything that happens in this town. I probably should use my talent to make money but I own this diner and my old daddy would roll in his grave if anyone actually took over here.  Now, what kind of work are you looking for? Any skills or qualifications I should take into account?"

"Well, I'm a hard worker and not afraid to get dirty if need be.  I ha vent a lot of experience but am open to just about anything."

"There is a dude ranch about 30 miles outside of town, they are always looking for extra ranch hands. Also, the owner there just recently lost his housekeeper. Can you cook & clean?"

"Oh yes! I'm Sicilian and was raised cooking and cleaning!  That sounds perfect!" Josh heard Louise giving her directions and proceeded to take her order.

Well, crap, Josh thought to himself.  This was going to go on longer than he thought.  Thinking fast, he got up and went to leave.

"Aren't you going to order young man?" Louise called out to him. He turned so that Adrianna couldn't see him, not that she knew him but in case their paths crossed later.

"No, seems Im needed somewhere else, good day." He said and headed out to his truck.  He headed out to his truck and followed the directions he had overheard the waitress give.

Within 5 minutes of his arrival, he was hired, shown his living quarters and assigned duties as the newest ranch hand on the Double T.  Now he just had to wait for Adrianna to show up.  He didn't like having his mission- uh, that is, person he was following, out of his sight.  Now for the wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adrianna found the ranch very easily. It was huge and breath taking.  She walked up to the house and knocked on the door.  No one answered. OK, now what? She felt like she was on the edge of something new and exciting and couldn't wait to get started...cooking and cleaning. Ha! Only an idiot would look forward to that but there ya have it.

She rounded the house and headed down to one of the four large barns.  The double doors were open and she could see people in there.

"Hello? I'm looking for Trent?" She called.

"You've found him.  You must be Anna, Louise called. Welcome to the Double T." An older man emerged from the dark shadows and removed his cowboy hat. A real life cowboy! With old school manners to boot!

"Hi Trent.  I'm told you need a hard worker to cook and clean and I'm here to apply for the position, if you will give me a chance." She said friendly.  Trent's ice blue eyes twinkled back at her and he said,

"Darling, your already hired.  Anyone that can pass Louise's inspection is fine by me.  Follow me to the house and I will show you around."  He led her back to the house and ushered her in.  The two story home was beautiful on the outside.  Inside was a different matter. It was clean but not one feminine touch could be found.  Sparse furniture scattered around. No flowers, no rugs not knick-knacks.

"Its just me and my brother Tristan so I apologize, its more of a bachelor pad than anything.  the last housekeeper we had was older and didn't bother decorating.  We are open to any suggestions and if there is something you need to make your stay more welcoming, you don't hesitate to ask, ya hear?"  With that Trent showed her the house, the kitchen and upstairs with the bedrooms and bathrooms.  Oh, she could have some fun if they really let her loose and decorate! Trying not to get ahead of herself she entered the room that Trent indicated was her bedroom.

"There's locks on the door, not that you will need them, again its just Trent and I and we are hardly home.  The ranch hands have their own quarters down at the bunkhouse. Do you know anything about our ranch here?"  Trent asked.  She was growing extremely fond of this man.  He was kind and friendly and very welcoming. Like the father she never had.

"Um no, Louise called it a dude ranch?" She hesitated.  She realized she literally knew nothing about this sort of life and found herself eager to learn.

"Ha! She would call it that. We raise cattle mostly but also have world class cutting horses, raised and trained here.  Tell me, have you ever ridden a horse?"

"Well, no. Actually I haven't.  I'm not sure about it though, horses are kinda big aren't they?" She asked nervously.

"Well I wouldn't be able to call myself a cowboy if I didn't ask you to try.  Let me help you learn.  Ive got dozens of horses that are gentler than a dog.  Alright, we wont ask you to start tonight with the cooking but I hope you don't mind starting in the morning.  We get up at 4am and usually eat around 4:30, nothing fancy, my boys are hard workers and need real man grub, if ya understand." WOW, 4am!? Well, welcome to the working world Adrianna!

"Yes, sir no problem! Thank you so much Trent and I look forward to making you guys happy." She offered her hand but he pulled her into a bear hug.

"See ya in the morning, hun."