Author's Note

"You are not fine, and that is okay." -Words that are not said often enough.

The thing people don't seem to understand is that there are healthy minds and there are broken minds. There is physical pain and there is mental pain. The general population of society is painfully incompetent of discerning the difference.

Mental pain is not that different from physical pain. If you clean a scrape with alcohol it stings, correct? For people who are depressed, the scrape is on the inside. When you dump alcohol on it, it magnifies the pain by a thousand, but no one can see it. Unlike a physical wound, a mental wound does not heal within a few days, it leaves a scar that can be reopened at any moment. That is where the broken mind comes in.

People think that if you're physically healthy you have nothing to worry about. That's not true. To be healthy, simply stated, means everything in your body is functioning as it should. Your mind is your brain. If your brain is not functioning the way it should-if your mind is not properly thinking the way it should be-then you aren't healthy. But because no one can see any physical trace of pain, the broken minds go untreated and are often lost. The scars can only be reopened so many times before we reach our limit.

I will say it again, because I refuse to let life fail you today. Today is going to be different-for real this time.

Repeat after me: "I'm not fine, and that's okay."