Chapter Five

The party was moved into the dining area which was tastefully decorated with white table wear. I was just about to pull out my chair when Zayn placed his hand on mine. He flashed a smile and said, "Allow me."

Thinking nothing of it, I thanked him and sat down. I didn't question why he chose to sit beside him, or why he was being so nice; the sudden change was refreshing.

Harry sat at the end of the table, and Nancy at the other. It was hard for me to not notice the glances they shared, or how Harry licked his lips when Nancy spoke. He used to do that with me, and we used to glance at each other the same way.

After a little banter around the table, Nancy and Eleanor left to the kitchen, returning a few minutes with food, and Sophia, whom I hadn't noticed was gone, trailing behind them with two bottles of red wine.

As everyone talked and laughed, I couldn't help but feel different, like I didn't belong. All their friends were funny and had no trouble in going along with whatever topic was brought up.

I wasn't lying when I told Zayn I was happy for Harry, but all the things he said were things I wasn't going to deny. I was still in love with Harry but I knew better than to tell anyone, especially Zayn.

I couldn't trust him. He was still the same person who, back then, would have been more than happy to see me crumble. I'm sure, positive that he was ecstatic when he heard the news about Harry leaving me. Hell, he probably threw a party!

"You don't look too good," Zayn whispered, leaning a little too close for my liking. "Like, you're about to throw up or something."

"I'm fine," I said, forcing a smile. I grabbed the bottle of wine and refilled my glass.

"Sure you are."

I knew he was finding some amusement in this. He was always the one who could read me better than anyone and I guess that's why I disliked him as much as I did. Not to mention, he was always so mean to me.

I ignored his light chuckle when he commented on my paleness, my eyes landing on Harry. He looked at me and mouthed, "Are you alright?" I nodded my head. He didn't look totally convinced but he knew not to make a scene.

Nancy tapped her wine glass with her fork to get everyone's attention. Once she had it and was standing up, Harry stood up also and walked over to her, his arm snaking around her waist.

"We've decided on a date for the wedding," Nancy grinned, giggling.

She looked to Harry who spoke next. His eyes roamed around the room slowly as he spoke. I avoided eye contact with him, looking everywhere else.

"The date is set for June 11th of next year so make sure you mark your calendars."

Zayn leaned over and whispered, "I was told we were celebrating Harry's promotion."

There was a mischievous smile on his face as he raised his glass to his lips.

I whispered back, "It's their wedding date. At least attempt to seem happy."

"Oh?" Zayn's eyebrows creased and he asked, "Am I not convincing anyone? Because I'm sure your face really tells them you're happy."

"I am," I said. "And you should be, too. He's your best friend and he deserves to be happy."

"Taissa," Nancy said happily as she made her way over to me, everyone beginning to shovel food onto their plates. "You're welcome to attend the wedding if you'd like. I can go into the city tomorrow and make another invitation."

My mouth opened, but it took a while to form a sentence.

Seeing how happy she was made it ten times more difficult to tell myself that I wasn't in love with Harry when I knew deep down that I was. And because Zayn knew it too, he leaned close, pretending to listen to Liam when he was actually eavesdropping on mine and Nancy's conversation.